Chapter Forty-Seven: One Month Later

LAIVA:

I stand at the back of the Void's Marauder, away from the coast of Isle Arnero, where it's currently anchored. The salty sea spray bats against the burgundy coat Lygor lent me. I keep watch from the Ashen Beach as Lygor delivers Nygyl back to his family. Nygyl, Equaaz, Lygor and I have been returning the surviving recruits of the Hero Complex program to their families. We've spent about a month aboard the Void's Marauder, venturing from planet to planet. To the families of those abducted by the Hero Complex program, Lygor is a hero. However, the majority of the galaxy's governments have been trying to discredit him due to his pirate heritage.

I've kept myself out of the media. I only usually take off my costume when I'm in private. However, today, I'm going to find myself a new life.

Xalir is still mad at me for destroying the armies of Podplanata, but I don't really care. I brought peace to the three conjoined worlds, and now, its government is slowly rebuilding itself.

There is still unrest, but not like there was before.

I succeeded. I may have faced many hardships along the way, but I succeeded in uniting the three planets.

I don't know much about what Xalir's been up to these days. I know he returned to Occos and bought himself a new house. But I haven't heard from him since.

I guess I deserve it. I kept him in the dark for the most part, and I doubt our relationship will ever recover from the strain of Rotcetorp and Oppugnant's rivalry. But I do plan on visiting him after this.

At the moment, however, I'm struggling to find a new purpose. I can't just return to Xalir, can I? As far as I know, his family still believe that I'm dead. How is he going to explain my return to the living without giving away my former double life as the galaxy's most hated vigilante?

Life's hard. I want to return to Occos II. I loved our apartment. But, now it's no more. I-I mean Oppugnant-demolished it.

I feel trapped. I should feel free without my powers. But, I guess, the weight of my actions is heavy, and there's no way I can escape this mental prison.

I let out a deep breath, barely hearing my pained sigh amongst the thunderous waves. The only comfort that allows sleep to drag me away is the knowledge that Podplanata is now at peace.

I don't know what to do with my life. I feel like crying, but I know that crying will only cause my deep scars to continue hurting.

I want to run home back to Xalir.

I can't. But I want to.

My thoughts must be keeping me pretty occupied, as the clunking of the boots on the deck indicate that Lygor has finished saying his goodbyes to Nygyl.

"Hey," he says. "What's wrong?"

"I just want to be alone, Lygor. My life sucks."

"Not as bad as mine. I lost my entire crew. I have nothing now."

"You have Equaaz," I reply, not looking away from the puddle on the edge of the deck.

"He's a good help, but I need more people to man my crew. I should've kept some of the recruits."

"They needed to go back home, Lygor," I explain coarsely, swallowing tears that have dribbled into my mouth. "Just like I do now. I want to return to my love."

"Laiva," Lygor says softly, "you know that he's still mad at you."

"I know," I exclaim bitterly, before biting my bottom lip. "I just can't...forget him. I need you to take me back to Occos II."