Chapter Three: Cruel Irony

XALIR:

I wake in the early hours of morning, sleeping on the right side of the queen bed I share with Laiva. The faint chatter of the TV means that Laiva must be awake. I yawn as I stretch myself out of bed and sluggishly meander out of the bedroom and into the kitchen. The lavender sky shines through row of glass windows adjacent to the open floored lounge room, and bounces off the silver newspaper on the nearby hover table.

I continue onward to the couch, where I find Laiva sipping porcmetalain cup of steaming purple tea, brewed from the blue kettlecorn found on Zevlag, the fourth planet of our lovely Terraepara system. It smells sweet and succulent, and I almost consider having one before I hear a sniff from Laiva.

Holographic footage from the television is projected across the lounge area, making it feel as if we're right there in the studio, even though we're not. 

My heart sinks as I sit beside Laiva and outstretch my left arm over Laiva's shoulders. I rub them and she doesn't say a word, instead rewinding the news program for a brief moment until red holographic text pops out of the screen, reading: ROTCETORP FINALLY KILLED BY OPPUGNANT.

I shake my head, not believing it to be true, but then my heart shatters as I remember that Aacis sometimes acted as my Rotcetorp decoy when I was too busy to meet up with Silveagak in secret. He wasn't meant to fight Oppugnant!

The holographic news studio changes into the fiery scene by an ashen island, where paramedics carry the dead body of Rotcetorp.

"Yesterday, the famed superhero Rotcetorp was finally killed by his long-time nemesis, Oppugnant. It happened at Mt Vialliryz on the magma world of Iuenté not long after he destroyed the nearby village. Authorities found Rotcetorp's unmasked corpse by the base of the local volcano, Mt Viarylliz. They quickly identified the body as that belonging to the famed craykello dentist, Aacis Rastly...

"Turn it off!" I mumble, sniffling as the molten silver from my eyes start to drip down my pale face.

Laiva does so, and holographic scene returns into the TV monitor. She looks at me, wiping the silver tears from my cheek. The silver from my eye has already replenished, but I don't care about that. I care about Aacis! He was my friend! And Oppugnant murdered him! One of my loved ones have paid the price for my constant failure to kill Rotcetorp! And now, my mission to kill Oppugnant is strengthened with a deeper resolve!

|\

I can't believe it. Aacis's funeral is tomorrow. My best friend's life was cut tragically short by the evil Oppugnant, and now, I don't know what to do. Oppugnant's attacks have rarely hit  me closer to home. Not like this, at least. Oppugnant must be stopped, but I need to take a couple days to mourn before I unleash all hell on Oppugnant.

Laiva and I have made the journey to Wocian earlier today, and are staying at Aacis's beachside house with his wife and son, Zwartwa and Pargraaul. It's strange, thinking about how Aacis was here and now he's not. Oppugnant will pay for this! I know there's stories in the news about how believe Aacis devastated an entire village as Rotcetorp, but I've seen the fear the name Oppugnant sends into people across the galaxy. They no doubt would do anything Oppugnant say, perhaps even frame Aacis for Oppugnant's actions.

I don't believe Aacis is responsible for the Vialliryz village's destruction. Even though the authorities revealed that Aacis had superpowers. I can tell Oppugnant's meddling with this all, so that they can make it seem like Rotcetorp was the bad guy. But I will make things right soon enough.

Soon, I will hunt them down and kill them just like they killed Aacis. I will show no mercy, and I will find great enjoyment in their death.

Oppugnant, I'm coming for you.