Chapter Forty-One: Dilemma

LYGOR:

"Wait, where did Oppugnant go?" Shenelda bubbles curiously.

"She took the pebble star," TeleVisore grumbles. "None of this would've happened if you didn't exist, Lygor! I had everything under control!"

I shrug. "What do you want me to do? I'm a failure. I couldn't keep my crew in check, and I failed to help others."

"Stop whining, pirate" TeleVisore exclaims distastefully, before a bright flash of blue light appears at the end of the cave.

Oppugnant stands there, holding the pebble star in their shaky grasp.

"What's wrong?" TeleVisore inquires smoothly.

"We have to kill Rotcetorp!" Oppugnant declares croakily, before collapsing to the ground.

The pebble star stumbles away from Oppugnant's hand, so TeleVisore grabs it for safekeeping. I lunge for the pebble star in an attempt to ensure that TeleVisore doesn't double cross us. However, Shenelda pulls me away, and so, I slap her away.

As Oppugnant cries within their superhero suit, I stare angrily towards TeleVisore. Their green eyes are the same colour as the pebble star, but they're far brighter. It's strange, really, considering that stars are usually brighter.

"You know, I could hold the pebble star. You're the very person we were trying to get this star away from."

TeleVisore chuckles. "Haha, pirate. You would probably sell it for money."

"No, I wouldn't!" I exclaim. "You're thinking of Idaj."

"I presume that's the pirate I killed."

Nearby, Equaz grumbles.

"You killed my brother, TeleWhatever!"

"Can we just all calm down!" Nygyl requests with a thunderous growl.

"That's easy for you to say!" Oppugnant sobs. "I think I know who's under Rotcetorp's helmet. He needs to die, but I don't know if I can go through with killing him."

"Well, then don't. I've been an ally of Rotcetorp for years, and that means I don't trust you or TeleVisore!"

I grumble, and then roll my eye at Oppugnant.

"Why do you want to kill him? Because you're more dangerous than he is?"

Oppugnant hesitates for a moment, as if they aren't really sure if they should say something.

Then, they finally answer me.

"After I retrieved the pebble star, I used some time powers I had manifested in order to visit worlds in the future that had been laid to waste by Rotcetorp."

"Why do you presume Rotcetorp devastated to see worlds?"

"Because years ago, I saw a future that had been ravaged by Rotcetorp. Although I believed a future version of Rotcetorp's now deceased doppelganger had been responsible for that destruction, now I'm not so sure. In the future I just witnessed a few moments ago, however, the cities were completely flattened." everyone in the cities I visited are dead. Plus, the present Rotcetorp is developing a powerful rage. Since I vanished from this present, I visited a future where Oppugnant has been missing for ten years. Knowing Rotcetorp's rage, I am extremely sure that in this future, he laid waste to those cities."

"Rotcetorp's a decent guy!" I say. "Maybe I can talk some sense to him."

"Of course," TeleVisore remarks. "Let's send the senseless pirate to talk sense into a vengeful superhero."

"I'm not-"

"No, I'll do it!" Oppugnant interrupts, fighting off the cracks in their voice.. "I think I know who Rotcetorp is. If I can locate his civilian identity, then I can convince him to let go of his rage."

TeleVisore sighs. "Fine. Go do that! Then, find us!"

Oppugnant teleports away in a flash of light, and shortly afterwards, I watch as TeleVisore flickers for a brief moment, outlined in bright blue light. Then, TeleVisore chuckles towards Shenelda.

"Alright, you can return your powers to the star."
"Return?" Nygyl queries scratchily.

"Yes, craykello. The star is the reason for your powers. When its power was not contained, then a random selection of people became vulnerable to receiving superpowers. Now, Shenelda here is about to return her powers. You should return your powers too. But for now, keep them. I may still have some use for you, in case Oppugnant fails."

Suddenly, I notice green energy wrap around the arms of Shenelda's hoodie like tendrils.

Then, the tendrils return to the star, and it glows. TeleVisore takes the star back, and Nygyl jumps excitedly.

"Try turning me into a slug!" Nygyl screeches excitedly.

Nothing happens.

"I can't use my powers, remember?" Shenelda quips.

Nygyl shakes his head. "I was hoping to see more of you."

"Well, maybe you can visit me on Namuhsolia after you're done!" Shenelda suggests.

"Really?"

Shenelda turns to TeleVisore.

"Alright, take me back home please."

"Tell me where it is!"

"Faerk. It's a rural town in the Namuhsolian country of Tlil."

Suddenly, Shenelda vanishes in a bright flare of blue light, and I claps my hands slowly.

"Alright, now what? We're still trapped undergrou-"

I am interrupted by the flash of blue light, and soon find myself on the asphalt platform on Teglyo. Nygyl grumbles.

"What are we doing back here?" I probe.

All I can see is the back of white coal armour.

"Is that white coal?"

"No.. It's actually Gnorts Retsalp, a plaster that provides heavy defense against superpowers."

"Who are you, anyway?" Equaz inquires.

"I'd rather keep my identity private, thank you very much!"

"Are you a robot?" Equaz guesses.

"No,"

Equaz sighs, before noticing the corpse of Parakga by the hangar's entrance.

"Damn, you could at least be polite and not leave bodies lying around!'

I notice Silveagak's body lying on the metal floor of the hangar, and let a single tear drop from my eye.

Suddenly, it dawns on me as to why we're here.

"Wait, are you using the star to rid the powers of those still within the program?"

"Yes," TeleVisore grumbles. "Very perceptive, pirate!"

'You're not a failure," Nygyl exclaims. "You gave me a very exciting mission! I am forever grateful to you!"

"Careful, he might force you into his crew!"

"I would never do such a thing!" I snap like a twig.

"How do you suppose we turn everyone here back to normal?" Nygyl asks.

"I don't know," TeleVisore responds. "It's difficult to say if they would be willing to let their powers go."

"Perhaps we can imbue the star's energy into this fort and somehow reverse its effects."

"For that, we would need Oppugnant, and even if we did have them, we would still have trouble figuring out a way to reverse the effects of the uncontained pebble star energy."

"I think I'm gonna be very bored, guys!" Nygyl remarks.

"Who cares?!" I retaliate sharply, before sighing.

I miss my crew.