Chapter Thirty-Two: Escape

NYGYL:

For the first time since I was stranded on Giurokaj with Petara, I am genuinely excited. While I'll never accept my fate on this planet, I do accept that I should start to get used this place, since the odds are that I'll be stranded here for a while.

It's the middle of the day already, even though I literally went to bed five hours ago. The nights on Giurokaj don't last long. Sunlight is present on this world most of the time.

Now, the heat is bearing down on me. But I don't really care. I'm just hopeful that Sophalie wakes up so that I can get my new girlfriend.

While I wait for her to awaken, I eat some leftovers of last night's dinner. I strip the meat apart hungrily, and once I'm finished, boredom begins to set in once more.

So, I start whistling very loudly in an attempt to wake Sophalie up. It must be working, as I hear an angry groan from her bedroom.

Then, I hear a roar from above the house, and my sharp instincts lead me out the rusting metal framed screen door and down the steps of the house's stone porch.

Above, I see a familiar burgundy car begin its descent towards the ground. I saw it while Petara and I were in the hangar on Teglyo about to board the plane we would be flying to Podplanata.

Then, my suspicions of the space car's pilot prove correct, as I spot Lygor in the driver's seat of the car next to a green skinned Teglyon.

"Petara!" I call. "Get over here!"

The car hovers above the ground, and I notice a familiar face as they open the closest rear car door for me.

"Shenelda!" I exclaim, jumping into the hovercar and shutting the door.

Then, I notice a skinnier Teglyon sitting next to Shenelda, before realizing that there's no room for Petara.

Truthfully, I think he's right. He's back home. He should stay here.

Petara exits the house anyway to see me off. Sophalie follows him, and she waves at Lygor.

"Lygor, how's my cousin?" she calls.

I turn to face Lygor as he responds anxiously.

"Cousin?" he stammers. "Wait, are you talking about Idaj? My crew thought you were kidnapped by pirates!"

"No!" she shouts. "Look, we don't have time to catch up! You have to go, Lygor!"

He nods affirmatively, and he flies the space car away from the settlement. It's sad for me as I wave goodbye to Petara, but I'm sure we'll meet again.

By this time, I've got my seatbelt firmly attached to my waist, and now, as we travel through the atmosphere, I turn to Shenelda.

"I thought you didn't want to join my mission!"

"Your mission's done, kid!" Lygor interrupts as the ship telethrusts out of Giurokaj's atmosphere and into the unknowns of space. "Idaj and the other pirates have been extracted! Now, we're going to Fraopéyja to retrieve something called a pebble star for the Silveagak!"

As Shenelda's jaw drops, the aghast look on Shenelda's face is priceless.

"Wait, what? I think I have to lie down! You're working with the head of the program? Why? Also, how did you find my exact location?"

"You're microchipped, Nygyl!" Shenelda exclaims. "The Teglyon mechanics helped us hack into your chip's signal."

"I think I can answer the rest of your questions, kid!" Equaz interrupts, before craning his head to stare at us. "Lygor was surprised for some reason when we told him that a new superhero was working with the heads of the program. He hasn't told us why he was surprised, though."

Lygor sighs, allowing the ship to float through the black curtain of space as he turns to face Shenelda and I.

"Silveagak met with me, requesting my assistance with a project. She wanted me to retrieve a pebble star so that the tournament may end, and the next phase of the Hero Complex program may move forward. During this convo, she told me that she was no longer going to force superpowered individuals into this program until she completed phase one. Are you with me or am I losing you?"

I lean backwards, picking it at the soft padded roof of the car's interior.

"She's lying to you!" Shenelda exclaims. "She cannot be trusted! She's just as bad as the rest of the officials in charge of this tournament!"

"Yeah," I add gruffly. "Why is it that she wants you to collect this pebble star and not Rotcetorp or this other hero?"

Lygor shrugs. "I don't know! She just wanted me! She seemed genuine, and I believe her. She expressed her distaste with the tournament, and I believed her. She wants Rotcetorp to kill King Parakga so she can move ahead without any interference."

"Who says this phase two is any better?" quips Shenelda.

Lygor facepalms himself. "I don't know. I think I've lost you. But, if she is telling the truth, then I guess I shall continue just for good measure. As I was saying before, she had explicitly said for me that she would no longer induct superpowered people into her program until phase two was ready, but then this new hero shows up."

"You think Parakga caught wind of her plans to betray him and killed her?" Noldv deduces darkly.

"Yeah," Lygor confirms. "However, regardless of whether she's lying or telling the truth, we should still go get this pebble star! My former crew turned against me, and now they're seeking to steal this pebble star for themselves. We need to retrieve the pebble star before they do!"

"I'm in!" I growl excitedly.

"I'm in as well!" Shenelda says. "I really want to go home, and if we succeed, then Lygor will ask Rotcetorp to free me from the program."

"You're already free," I remark. "Enjoy freedom, Shenelda!"

Freedom has never felt so refreshing. I still can't believe I'm free from Giurokaj! That place was nasty!

Hopefully, I don't get captured.

This mission better be a success!