Chapter Thirty-Seven: Rotcetorp's New Friend

XALIR:

I wake up on a cotton sheeted hospital bed, expecting for my bones to ache and to be still wearing my Rotcetorp suit. I instead find myself lying on a bed wearing a white hospital gown, and there is not a single ache in my body.

As I come to, my eyes scan the room, decorated in holographic wallpaper that slowly alternates between the colours of the rainbow. A single, metal domed light bulb hangs from the white triangular tiled ceiling, and I sigh as stare away to the turquoise triangular double door on my far left.

Through the circular windows of the double door, I can see hospital staff stroll past the room. There's no one else here but me, so I'm pretty lonely.

I tilt my head to look at my spotted white holocrete gown, before turning to face the triangular window by my bed. Outside, I can see the red sky, and the smoky black rings of cloud that decorate it.

Then, I notice my suit in pieces beneath the windowsill.

Oh, by Plassilmaver iron! They know my identity!

Then, as I turn to face the door, a doctor from a species I don't recognize enters, wearing a black holocrete coat.

They are a reptilian spider-like humanoid, with spider fangs extending from their mouth. They only have two brown eyes, which appears as if they are wearing sun contacts.

Sun contacts are a type of eye contacts that mirror the effects of sunlight on a smaller scale.

Anyway, this species is just really freaky. Their fangs are scaly, and there is no sign of hair on their green skin.

"I am Doctor Firg! It's good to see you've finally awakened, Sir Ryanley Nelscott!"

I lean from my bed, staring wondrously at my suit.

"Your friend told me that you were in a bad motorcycle accident, Nelscott! You should take better care of yourself!"

"Friend?"

"She dropped you off here and explained your situation. You're all fine though. You've been discharged though. That's actually why I'm here!"

"I'm free to go?"

"Yeah, your friend is waiting outside!"

"Okay, thanks. What about my suit?"

The doctor turns towards my suit, and chuckles.

"We'll toss it in the trash!" they chitter. "We'll just leave you alone while you get changed into the clothes you were wearing before. We took the liberty of washing them, so they're nice and clean!"

"Thanks," I respond thankfully.

|\

Once the doctor took out my IV, I changed into the cotton clothes I had been wearing underneath my Rotcetorp suit before I was taken to the hospital. I stretch my arms as I walk along the hallway, and as I stop by a chair outside my room, I find Zieré standing there, her furry arms crossed. Her parallel twin noses sniff the clean air, and then, her yellow cat like eyes dart towards me.

Before I can say anything, Zieré embraces me in a hug. Her fur is cold for some reason, but I don't really mind.

"Xalir!" she exclaims happily. "It's so good to see you!"

I don't smile at her. Instead, my face is painted in perpetual shock.

"You know I'm-"

"Yes," Zieré cuts me off sharply, before planting a kiss on my mouth.

I don't resist her kiss. Instead, I feel happy to see Zieré. It's good to have someone to talk to after all this madness.

"So, you're Oppugnant's friend?"

As we walk down the corridor, towards a set of elevators at the end of the hallway, Zieré chuckles.

"What gave you that impression?" she asks.

I shrug in response. "I don't know. Maybe because Oppugnant told me that she had a friend who would take me to hospital!"

"Well, I wouldn't say we're friends!" Zieré answers, as we arrive at the elevator door. "I've just been working with Oppugnant ever since Laiva was killed! I was mad about her death, and so, I decided to join Oppugnant!"

I press the down button, and as we wait for the elevator, I continue chatting with Zieré. In the background, I can hear various hospital sounds, such as monitor beeps, humming noises, etcetera.

"So, you wanted revenge on Oppugnant, too, right?" I inquire, as the elevator doors slide open.

"Yeah," Zieré replies smoothly as I follow her into the elevator.

As the elevator doors close behind us, I stare at Zieré.

"I miss Laiva," she says out of the blue.

"Me too!" I add softly. "She was..."

I struggle to stop silver tears from rolling down my cheeks, but I fail to prevent myself from crying. However, Zieré wipes my tears away with her left paw.

"Once I drop you off at your house, I'll pick you up tomorrow morning at your house! By my calculations, you'll only have been gone for a few moments."

I smile. "Thank you."

"You're certainly welcome, Xalir. You'll be staying at my house on the outskirts of Entrek!"

"Thank you," I remark gratefully. "Where are we, anyway?"

"Axblatir. It's a backwater planet on the far side of the galaxy."

|\

Hours after returning to my father's house on Plassilmavern, Zieré swung by to pick me up. My father wasn't happy with Zieré, but I'm a grown man! I can make my own decisions.

Anyway, at the moment, I am staring at the blue grass surface of Occos II that that appears indigo from space due to the thick purple atmosphere. As we begin our descent towards the glossy wooden city of Entrek, I smile at Zieré as she finishes telling me her story.

"A car dealership? Wow! That's impressive!"

"Yeah!" Zieré chuckles softly, as she lands the car in the stone carport next to her stone walled house. "Now, Xalir, allow me to introduce you to my abode!"

I unbuckle my seatbelt, and exit Zieré's car, running towards the cube shaped building that Zieré resides in. The cool air of Occosian night makes me glad that I'm back home.

"I'm hungry!" I grumble, as my stomach lets out a gurgle.

"I've got some fresh soup packets in the freezer! I'll make some!"

Once Zieré kindly opens the door to reveal the cement floored kitchen and dining room. Honestly, I was expecting more from Zieré's home.

"It's in the crappier neighbourhood, I know! But it's better than no house at all, Xalir!"

I smile and nod.

"You're certainly right. Now, how about that soup?"