Chapter Nineteen: Nygyl and Petara

NYGYL:

Petara pilots our two-passenger spaceplane through the stormy grey clouds of Podplanata I. Not only is this cargo plane larger than space automobile, but it also possesses two long steel wings that allow for a more graceful descent towards the planet surface. Each wing also has two space propellers, which cut through the atmosphere like a knife.

I'm not flying the plane because I have no idea how to. Luckily, Petara knows what he's doing. I think.

"So, with your powers, you can see through cloud cover, right?"

Petara nods their head, and I sigh in relief, turning to stare at the various mechanical instruments embedded into the cockpit's dashboard.

This plane was once a military standard plane, as evidenced by the floor panel behind me that is often used as a payload hatch. There are no bombs lining the back walls of the cockpit. Only holocrete supply boxes and emergency gear that used to reside in the undercarriage of the plane.

I peer at the map of the Podplanatan desert that this plane is currently flying above.

I hear chatter from the radio, and I pick it up from the console, and speak into it.

"This is Impatient Zero," I greet using my hero name. "Who's at the end of this line?"

Lygor's clear, wooden voice comes through the speakers of the radio. "Captain L, here. I'm just wanting you guys to reroute to Giurokaj! I've just heard some news that the members of my crew who were arrested on Podplanata I were exiled there."

"Isn't the air of the planet heavily contaminated by radiation?"

The other end of the line remains silent for a minute. There's a delay in responses, since this ship uses old fashioned technology. However, this technology is still reliable, so I don't expect for us to be crashing anytime soon.

"Yeah, but I don't care!" Lygor retorts fiercely. "Bring me back my crew!"

"Roger that," I reply, before returning the radio into its socket.

My sharp yellow claws scratch the side of the green leather chair I am currently seated on. Petara ascends the plane through the clouds, and I am pushed back in my seat.

"Are we there yet?" I remark impatiently, ignoring the fact that we haven't even fully left the atmosphere of Podplanata I yet.

When the plane emerges into the star fields of space, Petara steadies the plane, before inputting the coordinates for Giurokaj. The space plane telethrusts to Giurokaj with a jolt, and the first thing I notice out of the domed viewport is a dusty world with a surface covered in beautiful erosion patterns.

We made it.

Suddenly, our plane shudders, and Petara mutters something in Scwabarkian language.