23 | THE CURSE, PART 1

ღ

MAGGIE'S POV

Laudon is such an asshole.

I can't believe that I fell for his sad guy act when he came to me pouting about not having anyone around that he could trust. For whatever reason, I wasted the rest of that day trying to cheer him up. Until now, I thought that we had formed a new bond. I guess I was wrong. I have to be wrong considering how he turned around and sent Zul, his Herculean attack dog, my way.

I know I'm running out of time to find a replacement soul, and I suppose ordering Zul to hurt Krista had been Laudon's lame attempt at trying to scare me straight. Well, it worked. Thankfully, Krista's ankle isn't broken, and she'll recover in no time. Still, it kills me to know that Laudon and his lackey are under the impression that I'm not taking things seriously.

Honestly, both of them have a lot of fucking nerve—

"Where's your head at, baby girl?" Mom gives me a concerning look while tapping the cutting board in front of me. I blink, quickly snapping back to reality. "This is the third time you've zoned out on me. At this rate, we're never going to finish cooking dinner."

"Sorry! I think I'm just tired." I resume cutting the cherry tomatoes for the salad. My hands move faster than I intended, and I end up slicing the tip of my index finger on my left hand. "Shit!" I hiss while reaching for a paper towel. I wrap it around my finger and then apologize to my mother for cursing in front of her. "I'm going to go grab a bandage."

"Be careful going up the stairs," Mom calls after me, and I can't tell if she's joking or not. "You seem to be a lot clumsier these days. I'm getting worried!"

Everything that's been going wrong in my life, including my sudden lack of coordination, I blame it all on my powers. Or rather, I blame it all on Kalleste. It isn't easy being the vessel of a goddess' daughter. Feels like I'm discovering something new about myself every day. Take my sudden healing powers, for example. When I make it to the bathroom upstairs, the cut on my finger has already closed and is beginning to scab over.

I'm getting stronger, as are my borrowed powers. If only I could figure out how to properly harness them long enough to defend myself against my enemies, then maybe this reincarnation thing won't be all that bad.

"Who am I kidding? This shit fucking sucks."

I leave the bathroom without a band-aid and walk into my bedroom instead, staring at my glowing hands. This is the extent of how much power I can summon without being in fear for my life, just enough to make my hands glow. How pathetic.

I collapse on my bed, eyes fixated on the spinning ceiling fan. My mind begins to roam again, my thoughts bouncing all over the place.

How can I return to campus when I'm stuck in this supernatural state? What will my parents say if I tell them that I want to take a year off? How will my friends react if I tell them I'm thinking about dropping out? Will Laudon still be in my life by then? Surely not.