34 | THE RULES

ღ

LAUDON'S POV

Laudon travels through the halls of Hell with such speed that it looks as if he is floating on air.

He has long forgotten the name of the drug that Myrlande used on him, but as the seconds continue to tick on, he feels more and more like his old self. His powers have returned, and his eyes glow an even brighter shade of red despite him still being unable to fully transform. There are, unfortunately, still a few lingering effects from the Sonne flower wine.

No matter, though. Laudon can defeat Zul without physically being larger than him. He is stronger and feels more determined than he ever has in his entire life. Laudon has never lost a challenge, and regardless of Zul being an old friend, he has no plans on ending his winning streak tonight.

"Hey, slow down up there!"

Laudon abruptly stops and spins around upon hearing Lila's voice. His eyes widen and his nose flares as she sprints to a halt in front of him. She has no reaction when he roughly grabs her by the shoulders, sniffing her because she is covered in Maggie's scent. The perplexed look on his face makes Lila stiffen. His brows are furrowed, and his jaw is clenched tight, his mind racing as his jumbled thoughts gradually shift from Zul to Maggie. 

"Why do you smell like her? Where is she?" Laudon questions Lila, his voice low and eerily deep. "Had she been harmed when you found her? Tell me everything."

"I found her on the lower level just as she had escaped from one of the cells. She's still alive, so do try to keep your wits about you," Lila replies. She removes Laudon's hands from off her before taking a cautious step back. "I could smell Zul's scent as I was down there. I believe he is the one who released all the prisoners. But Maggie is fine, he didn't hurt her. And I'm covered in her smell because I carried her the rest of the way to my bedroom."

"Your bedroom?" Laudon snarls, his hands twitching at his sides as he narrows his eyes. "You should have taken her someplace else!"

"Lighten up, asshole! I didn't exactly have a lot of options." Lila snaps, ignoring the low growl that slips past Laudon's lips. "We did a lot of running and her little human body was completely exhausted. I locked her in my bedroom and warded it so that only you, me, and Myrlande can enter. She's safe, alright? So let's fucking get back on track."

"Fine."

"Where are you headed?"

"To kill Zul."

"You know where he is?!"

"Yes. I performed a locator spell after Myrlande helped me get my powers back. For the last five minutes, he's been in the old, abandoned arena where we previously hosted challenges."

"Shit. Why did we not think to do that earlier? Could've saved us time hunting him down."

"We all had a lot going on." Laudon turns around and crouches. "I'm faster now, so hop on."