21st Kill - Rules

Gerit heads straight for the creator, knives drawn.

"Oh?" The creator raises an eyebrow.

He dodges with ease as Gerit angrily attacks him over and over again, missing every time. The creator wears that same calm smile and keeps his hands at his sides, moving this way and that. Gerit is so fast, I can barely see him most of the time. I'd even say he's faster than Mr. Karasuma.

"Are you angry?" The creator asks, amused. "Ah, right. You don't talk!" He teases.

This pisses Gerit off more and he moves even faster with great precision and control. It's amazing he hasn't hit the creator once. We all watch in stunned silence as this goes on. There's no question that Gerit's been holding back the whole time. And right now, it's clear he isn't holding back at all. It's absolutely terrifying. Suddenly, the creator stops moving and Gerit's knife slices right through the guy, only it isn't normal. It looks like Gerit's hand swiped through a reflection in the water, the way the creator's body reacts.

"Are you done?" The creator asks, bored.

Gerit is shaking with anger. He spins around and marches back to join the other contestants, avoiding everyone. From the calm and quiet exterior he always had, the pure rage on his face makes him seem like a completely different person.

"Good." The creator eyes each of us. "So, it seems your interests have changed."

I glance at Gerit again as his chest heaves. He doesn't seem to be calming down at all.

"Since no one's interested in the money, I've decided to alter your winnings." The creator continues. "Whoever wins will get to save ten people of their choice from the dark sea." He raises a finger in warning. "And only ten. How does that sound?"

Just like that, we were all suddenly pitted against each other. Every single one of us knew we'd be saving a different ten people, even those of us from class 3-E. Gerit throws a dagger at the creator, it going right through him and getting lodged into the wall beyond. Gerit then goes to fetch it, yanking it out with a thud and exiting through the door behind the creator.

The creator watches this too and turns back to face us as though nothing had happened.

"Any questions?"

-----

All of us nervously ask muttered questions here and there. The final two contestants will get to face the creator and whoever does the most damage wins. You don't have to use all ten in the prize, but you absolutely can't save more than that. The news is bittersweet at best.

How can we only choose ten?

Our consolation prize for making it to the finals is that none of us will need to face the dark sea. If we lose, we become spectators, offering our coins to whomever we think will win. In essence, we're getting a chance to save a friend even if we don't win overall, depending on who we give our coins to and if they're willing to accept those conditions.

The entire time, the creator's mood is calm and pleasant. I keep waiting for him to strike. He's like a rattlesnake that's purposely setting off its rattle, but I can't tell if he's going to attack, or if he's just bored.

"Would you like me to fix that for you?" The creator points to Isogai's feet.

"What?" Isogai looks down.

The creator's eyes slowly rise from the floor to mine. I feel locked into his gaze.

"You've been eyeing me a while now, but you haven't asked anything. Did you know I can fix that? You'll be in rank 2 either way."