24th Kill - Knives

1 – Lentz, Gerit (147) Mute/Loner

2 – Shiota, Nagisa (79) Loner

3 – Malinay, Stag (53) Loner

4 – Veleten, Zerren (48) Loner

5 – Kayano, Kaede (38) Loner

6 – Nakamura, Rio (36) Loner

7 – Yada, Toka (32) Loner

8 – Isogai, Yuma (11) Loner

Heading back into the challenge room, the creator awaits us. There are big red dots lined up on the far wall and a crate with knives inside.

"Good afternoon! How was lunch?" he asks.

"It was great, how about yours?" Stag counters.

The creator gives him a glance before jumping into the next task without answering. "Next challenge is a knife throw. Taking turns by rank, your goal is to hit the target three times. It doesn't matter where, as long as you hit it." He takes a few steps towards the big red dots and stops about ten feet from the wall. "From here. So, Gerit..." He motions towards the crate. "Care to try?"

Knife throwing? Target practice, yes, but our knifework didn't include throwing them.

Yada raises her hand. "Can't we practice first? Some of us have never thrown them before."

The creator considers this and shakes his head. "Just watch Gerit closely. If I allow you to practice, I can't eliminate the one that takes the longest to get three to stick."

"Did you pick this challenge specifically because Gerit was good at it?" Nakamura crosses her arms, annoyed.

"Actually, no." The creator faces her, smiling calmly. "I wanted to see who could pick up the skill quickly. Besides, you know how to use them. Why not throw them?"

"I'm with her. We should get practice." Stag points to Yada.

Gerit walks up to the crate and grabs a knife, testing its weight.

"Wait, do we all suck at knives?" Zerren asks, surprised.

Gerit stands next to the creator, the two sharing a look before he gets into position to throw.

"We practice fighting with them all the time, but not throwing." Yada shrugs.

Gerit takes a step and throws the knife like a spear, over the shoulder and perfectly straight without a spin. He hits the target dead center.

"Whoa..." I mumble.

"Holy shit. That was spot on!" Isogai exclaims.

Gerit grabs another knife.

And I'm next.

I swallow the dryness in my throat and pay close attention.

If I don't get any practice, I better pick it up now.

This one he throws by the end of the handle and lets it spin. It lands perfectly lined up to the first one.

"You're biased." Zerren complains. "It's not fair to pick something he's great at while the rest of us suck."

The creator glances at us. "No. Biased would be choosing guns for this challenge."

"Guns?" Stag says under his breath. "Who knows how to use a gun?"

The remainder of 3-E averts their gazes while I watch Gerit closely. He throws the third one like a spear as well. The only space between them is maybe a millimeter at the handles. All three stand perfectly uniform to each other.