23rd Kill - Spectators

Most of us return after the break, save for Lannamay and Zerren.

"Ben, Ren," the creator seems to say to no one while looking to the side, "please bring your charges in for the next challenge."

I figure he has an earpiece hiding under his hair, but even though Zen makes a similar motion occasionally, I've never actually seen anything in his ear.

Must be really small or flesh colored.

A while later, Ren comes in with Zerren.

"Pleeeease win this one for me?" Ren begs. Zerren ignores him. "Aww, please? It's not fair!"

The door opens again, this time with Lannamay and the host known as Ben.

"Ah, you still have a task, my dear." The creator smiles. "Who will you give your coins to?"

Lannamay walks past us towards the creator, stopping and staring at him for a long hard moment. The creator's smile deepens, but he doesn't say anything. She turns on her heel and stares at Gerit.

"Do you have a list of ten people to save?" She demands from him.

He tilts his head to the side a moment in confusion and shakes it.

"Then I'll help you win." She unclips her pouch and offers it to him. "If you promise me one of those names becomes Elklay Ekinsoff."

Gerit shrugs, nodding. She brings it to him and he accepts it hesitantly, watching her as she leaves.

"Ben, since you've no other charges, you get to watch the spectator room." The creator orders.

"Of course." Ben bows his head and follows Lannamay out the door.

I look at Gerit again. "You really plan on bringing him back?"

Gerit turns to me, glances at the pouch and carefully clips it onto his belt, a look of uncertainty on his face.

"You can't not bring him back after that." Zerren yells.

Gerit looks at the few of us staring at him and shrinks back as though he's nervous. Then he nods.

"You will, huh?" Nakamura clarifies.

Gerit nods again.

Zerren faces Nakamura. "How can you be sure."

"Because he doesn't care about the prize." Nakamura turns towards the creator. "Mind telling me why? Is there something you're not sharing?"

"Everyone gets the same prize." The creator's eyes go to Gerit. "But perhaps all he wants is to fight me. It must be its own reward." He chuckles.

Gerit glares at him in annoyance and I realize that must be it.

Did I misinterpret his previous answer?

I put a hand to my face, recalling the one-sided conversation.

He seems so against the creator. Why did he shake his head?

-----

1 – Lentz, Gerit (147) Mute/Loner

2 – Shiota, Nagisa (63) Loner

3 – Malinay, Stag (53) Loner

4 – Veleten, Zerren (48) Loner

5 – Kayano, Kaede (38) Loner

6 – Nakamura, Rio (36) Loner

7 – Yada, Toka (32) Loner

8 – Sugino, Tomohito (16) Loner