Chapter 33: The Missing

It had been a week since her cousin disappeared. 

And it had been a week since Amandla vanished. 

Artemis knew the two were connected, somehow. She just didn't know how.

Artemis raised her eyes to her aunt. Feyre stood in front of the fire, ignoring them all. She'd never seen the High Lady look so... lost. 

It broke something in her. To see her aunt suffering. 

They'd tracked Nyx's scent to the forest lining the coast, where they followed it to the ground. They'd found the net that had to have shot him down. They'd followed his footsteps into the forest, down into the cave... 

And found those gods-damned Wyrdmarks, practically reeking with Nyx's blood. The trail ended there. 

Artemis looked up and met Delilah's eyes across the table. The adults around them continued to talk, but Artemis held the daughter of Spring's gaze. 

Delilah knew just as well as she did that Nyx was gone. Not just missing, but gone. If Artemis remembered her Wyrdmarks correctly, the circle they'd found had been a Wyrdgate. 

Someone had sent Nyx to another world. And if his disappearance was connected to Amandla's... she'd likely met the same fate. 

Artemis took a deep breath. "We're not going to find Nyx or Amandla if we keep arguing." Her voice was quiet enough that only Delilah heard her. Or maybe that was just because Delilah was the only one listening. 

"I agree," Delilah said with equal quiet. She inclined her head and backed away from the table, Artemis following. Delilah's eyes darted to Feyre, still standing by the fire. "I think she knows something more than what she's telling us." 

Artemis followed her gaze. "She's already tried opening another gate, Delilah. Don't you think she'd have opened one by now if she could?" 

Delilah shook her head. "That's the thing. No one has used a Wyrdgate for at least a decade. Every story I've heard of Erilea or the Queen of Terrasen has been just that-- a story. Did you ever stop to wonder why we don't get visits from the Erileans anymore?" 

Artemis growled, tearing her hands through her hair. "I don't care. Nyx and Amandla are missing, and we have no idea if they're safe, or--" She cut herself off. She refused to think about the alternative. Two of the most important people in her life, gone without a trace. The last words she'd spoken to Nyx rang through her mind, day and night. Mother above, she'd threatened to kill him. Would that truly be his last impression of her? Did he think she'd meant it?

Of course not. He was smarter than that. He was smarter than they gave him credit for. Even if he never really gave them any reason to think otherwise. 

Artemis turned to Feyre again. Her aunt hadn't moved an inch. She looked so... haunted. That was the right word. Artemis's Uncle Rhys came to stand beside her, slipping his hand around her waist. He muttered something in her ear, but she didn't react. 

"She's hiding something. I know she is," Delilah hissed. Artemis turned back to her, annoyance flashing through her. 

"What possible reason could she have to hide something that could find her own son?" She growled. She liked Delilah, she really did, but she felt like Nyx sometimes forgot who the female's father was. Who she'd grown up under. 

Delilah straightened, her eyes flashing with anger, as if she could hear every thought going through Artemis's head. "I think you're forgetting who she is. Feyre Archeron is many things, but first and foremost, she is High Lady. Her first duty is to her people, not her family." Delilah's eyes slid to Feyre again, narrowing. "If it would bring harm to her people, I believe she'd choose them over Nyx." 

"You don't know anything," Artemis snarled. "Aunt Feyre loves Nyx more than anything in this world. She will do anything in her power to bring him back." 

Delilah met her gaze again, and Artemis blinked at the sheer determination in the daughter of Spring's eyes. "So will I. No matter the cost, no matter who tries to stop me, I'm bringing Nyx home." 

Artemis watched as Delilah turned to go. She knew what she was about to say would hurt. But Delilah had left her no choice. 

"He doesn't love you, Delilah," She said softly, quiet enough that only Delilah could hear. Delilah stopped dead, her shoulders stiffening. "He doesn't see you like that." 

Slowly, Delilah turned back to stare at Artemis. "Do you honestly think I don't know that?" Her words were barely a hiss. She stepped closer, her nose barely two inches from Artemis's. Artemis refused to step back. "I don't care. He is my friend, and he is in danger. I'm bringing him home." Her gaze flicked back and forth as she glanced between Artemis's eyes, searching for something in them. "Are you going to help me or not?" 

There was no other answer. Artemis crossed her arms. "Of course I am. Where do we start? I assume you have a plan?" 

Delilah smirked. "Of course I do." She turned and opened the river-house door, glancing back once to everyone gathered behind Artemis. Artemis followed her gaze. 

Her mother. Her aunts. Her uncles. Even Mor and Emerie were there, Katra seated beside the Valkyrie. Not one of them noticed her or Delilah as they slipped out into the night.