ch. 19

Danny holds the door open for me and I get in the car. He follows after me and the driver takes off. I check the messages on my phone and when I look up again I realize we're heading towards the airport. I shoot Danny a puzzled look but he doesn't react.

30 minutes later we're on a flight to Dublin.

'I want you to meet someone.'

I repeat the sentence in my head over and over again.
Who could I be meeting in Dublin?
OMG! Am I meeting his mother?!

I gasp and look at Danny again. Still no reaction. He's too quiet. Something's not right.

"Are you okay?" I place my hand on top of his. He's shaking.

"We're almost there." That's his only response.

I try to calm my nerves and not think about what could happen.
Eventually we land safely in Dublin. There's yet another car waiting for us.
I really wanna know where we're going this time but I'm too scared to ask. Danny's mood is getting weirder and weirder by the minute.

After a 20-minute long drive the car stops in a deserted area.

Instead of asking where we are I just mimic Danny's action as he gets out of the car.

"This way." He says. It's the first thing he says in 2 hours.

I follow after him as we walk through a gate. It takes me a moment to realize where we are heading to.
The cemetery.

"Danny...?!"

"We're almost there."

I want you to meet someone...

"We're here." He announces and I stop in my tracks.

Danny takes a few steps towards the tombstone, while I remain still.

I watch him get down on his knees right by the tombstone. He's talking but I can barely understand what he's saying.

Tears well up in my eyes as he gets up again and looks back at me.

"Come here. It's okay." He says in a weak tone and holds his hand out.

I grab it and squeeze it. His eyes are red and puffy but he's smiling.
I smile back at him and watch his own smile widen.

"I come here a lot. Every time I don't know what to do I come here for advice."

He's silent for a moment while he's thinking about his next words.

"I came here when I had some trouble with my ex girlfriend. I was hoping for a sign. A sign that she was the right one, that I needed to keep fighting for us. But I never got one. That's when I knew she wasn't the one."

I swallow hard as I'm struggling to prevent my tears from spilling. Eventually I fail.

"This time I know I'll get a sign. I need a sign, Louise. I need to know he's listening."

"So, what now?"

"Now we wait." He says and steps closer to me.

We stay like this, our bodies inches apart from each other, staring at each other's eyes.

The sky is gray. It's looks like it's going to rain any minute now. The wind picked up too. I look around. We're the only people around here. Suddenly I shiver.

Danny squeezes my hand assuringly and I relax a bit.

What happens next can only be explained with one word.

Miracle.

We're standing in front of the tombstone when a little colorful bird rests on it. It's looking at us. Observing us.