ch. 7

Danny

I look at her straight in the eyes and she stares back at me. She's beautiful. Her eyes are a warm shade of amber and she has a few wrinkles around them. They only make her more beautiful. Her olive skin is flawless and her lips are an inviting shade of pink. Her hair is long and luscious, and I can't help but imagining it being soft against my touch.

My whole body erupts in a tingling sensation, it's as if someone had switched the lights on in my head. But this can't be.
It can't be her!

My mind wanders off and when I fixate my gaze upon her again I notice she's biting her bottom lip nervously.

I take out my phone and text Mark, tell him to meet me here immediately. Not wanting to say anything more before Mark gets here I excuse myself and go out to the back for a smoke.

Andi

Something's wrong with Danny. I can tell. I know him too well. The way he looked at Louise when he first saw her. The way he listens in whenever she speaks.
No, this isn't just infatuation. It's something more.

But I can't deal with this right now. My ass is on the line. I love my brother, but he can't ruin this for me. For Louise. She's scared, I can see it now. Like a deer caught in the headlights. I need to get her to focus on our task. I hate to admit it, but it was a bad idea inviting Danny along.

He's in a very fragile state right now, and I don't even blame him for looking for love in every woman he meets. But Louise is a pretty much damaged soul herself. I don't need to ask her to know. Just the way she carries herself, so cautious, so hesitant. Something awful happened to that woman, and although I'm the last person to judge someone, I know that her and Danny together wouldn't last long.

Danny

I finish my smoke and I'm ready to go back in when a taxi pulls up next to the building. The door opens and Mark steps outside.

"This better be important, Dan. I had to leave Rina alone with the kids!"

"It is. Come, let's go back in."

I usher Mark through the tables and stop in front of ours.

"Hey, Andi!" He hugs my sister and that's when his gaze falls upon Louise. He turns around and gives me that 'A girl? Really Danny!' - look but I motion for him to sit.

"What are you doing here?" I hear Andi ask Mark.

"I was out and about, I texted Dan and he told me he was nearby so I thought I'd come by and say hi. I'm not interrupting, am I?"

" No! Not at all." Louise's quick response echoes in my ears.

Mark

"No, not at all." I hear the gorgeous brunette say.

Stop it man! You've got a wife and kids.

"I didn't get your name, love. Sorry!"

"It's Louise." Andi chimes in. "We're business partners."

"Oh, that's great!" I reply in return.