ch. 31

It's 5 in the morning when I feel someone nudging my side and ripping the covers off my body.

"Lou, get up!" Dan's voice sounds huskier than usual.

"Five minutes." I mumble and turn on the other side.

"We don't have five minutes. We're going to miss our flight if you don't get up now!"

I grunt and heave my aching limbs out of bed.

Last night didn't exactly go the way I had planned it.

Danny and I had sex multiple times, each time rougher and more carnal than the last.

At the end we were both too exhausted and fell right asleep, so I didn't get to talk to him.

And I don't necessarily want to ruin our vacation with business talk. I just wish I could've gotten it off my chest last night as it's weighting on my shoulders and know will bother me for the entire duration of our vacation.

"Lou! Hurry up!" I hear Danny yell from a distance.

I exit the bathroom and dress hastily in leggings and a sweater, put my hair in a bun and grab my bags that are placed in the hallway.

"No need to rush me like that! The plane won't leave without us!" I retort slightly irritated but regret it immediately.

"Sorry." I carry on my monologue. "It's just I'm really exhausted from last night and hadn't had coffee yet. I'll get better once I have had caffeine." I explain. He's walking in front of me so I can't see his face.

But I hear him sigh. Sigh and turn around to face me. His expression softens instantly and a small smile appears on his lips.

Inching closer to me, he drops his luggage and wraps his arms around me.

"I just want to get away with you."

I nod understandingly and he grabs his luggage again, heading towards the car that's been waiting for us outside.

Danny

I grab my luggage and head out the door. When I'm sure Louise isn't watching I slowly tap the right pocket of my jeans.

Phew! OK. Still there.

I sigh heavily, doubts returning again.

Am I doing the right thing? What will Lou think?

24 hours ago...

I place the ringing phone by my ear and anxiously wait for Mark to pick up. My hand is trembling so I put the phone down and turn on the speaker.

What's up boy? Mark's chipper voice fills the empty room.

I...eh...listen Mark- All of sudden I don't know if it was a good idea to call him.

Are you alright?

Yes, yes. Um, I'm just calling to let you know Lou and I are leaving tomorrow. For vacation.

Nice. Where ya going?

The Bahamas. I'll be back in time, don't worry.

Cool. Have fun man. And tell Lou I said hi.

Sure.

I hang up, silently cursing.
Why didn't I just tell him?

~

We land for our layover in Miami where we're going to board a smaller plane for the final part of this long and exhausting journey.

Knowing how Lou hates small planes I kept it a secret from her but as we approach the aircraft her eyes widen in shock.