ch. 28

It's been a week since Emily found out her husband was not only filing for divorce but also for sole custody of their two children. Three days ago Emily got a hold of her lawyer in New York and arranged a meeting.

If it wasn't for her using my computer I wouldn't know she already booked a flight as well.

"I'm coming with you!" I announce as we sit silently next to each other on the couch.

"No. I need you to stay here and watch the kids."

"I thought you'd want them with you anyway?"

"No. They stay here. Just like you!"

"You can't do this by yourself. I won't let you go through this alone. Are you listening to me? I've already booked a seat on the same flight. I'm coming with you."

"How did you ev-"

"You need to delete your history when you're on someone else's computer."

A smile appears on Emily's face. At least I managed to distract her for a short while.

I'm about to say something when I hear the doorbell ring.

"Are you expecting anyone?" We both say in unison.

I get up and press the button on the intercom.

"It's Glen. Can I come up for a minute?"

Without answering I press the button and wait by the door. Finally Glen appears. His face is a mix of concern and determination.

"What's the matter?"

"I was hoping to talk to Emily. Is she here?"

He definitely catches me off-guard with that one and so I can't do anything else but point to the direction of the living room.

I watch him disappear and though I don't want to eavesdrop I'm extra quiet so I can pick up a word or two.

But I hear nothing. They either went out on the balcony or they're whispering.

Because of my noisy nature I find myself heading towards the living room.

"Am I interrupting?" I clear my throat to raise attention.

"No." I hear Glen reply.

My gaze is glued on him and so he continues.

"I just offered Emily to go to New York with her."

"Um, okay."

"I care about your sister-" He begins.

"As?"

"As a friend." He informs me but I know by the look on his face that that's only half the truth.

"Emily told me you booked a flight ticket? Maybe I can use it so it won't go to waste."

I'm still speechless and in shock. I mean I knew Glen had a thing for my sister but I had no idea how Emily felt until now.
But seeing her, so calm and relaxed, it got me thinking maybe the feeling is mutual.

"Yeah, sure. We can do that." I say because frankly I don't think I can change either of their minds.

Content with himself Glen smiles and gets up. He gives Emily a lingering hug and disappears as if nothing ever happened.

"Care to explain to me what just happened?"

"He's great and...and he cares."

"Em you're in th-"

"I know. I'm not stupid. I also have two kids to look after, I'm not falling for anyone right now but it's nice to see people caring about me."

"But I care about you."