Unfortunate Misunderstandings

You'd just moved to Gwangju with your father and aunt, too young to understand why your mother didn't move with you but old enough to be shattered by her absence. You were shy, extremely quiet, and had never been the best at making friends or connecting with your own family. Your mother understood and that always made everything ok.

She played with you at the park when all the other kids shunned you, celebrated your black and white school projects when your dad berated you for their lack of color.

"There's nothing wrong with looking at the world in black and white honey, you know that's a superpower, don't you?"

You shook your head in wonder, eyes big and curious. Were you really a superhero?

"Yes, it is! Because when you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes." She moved closer to you, noses touching, and her eyes sparkling like diamonds. "But when you photograph them in black and white, you photograph their souls...so in a way, you have x-ray vision."

The tinkling of her laughter rang in your ears, warming your soul. She'd scooped you up into her arms while peppering kisses across your hairline and forehead, her scent embedding itself further into your brain.

Honeysuckle and coconut.

Jung Hoseok was the literal embodiment of sunshine. Everything about him was loud and bright. From his laugh to his clothes, and you'd wanted absolutely nothing to do with him. But of course, Hoseok had other plans.

You were by yourself on the playground at school like usual, coloring in your coloring book while you laid across the grass near the soccer field when they came.

Bullies

Bullies.

Kids who didn't like how quiet you were, or the fact that all you ever wore was black, all black everything down to your shoelaces. They'd pulled your hair, called you names, and slapped you with their mouths pulled wide grinning.

"Why are you so weird, Y/N? That's probably why your mother killed herself to get away from you."

"Is that why you wear black all the time? Cause everyday is funeral when we have to look at your ugly face"

"D-Don't ever...talk about my mother...shut your stupid mouths!" White knuckles gripped the just sharpened black color pencil as you drew your hand back, ready to lash out and release the pent up rage simmering just below the surface.

"Leave her alone!"

Your head snapped to the idiot who thought it was smart to take on these vicious kids. His heart shaped mouth was pinched in a sneer and amber eyes blazing hot as he stared them down. He walked over and stood in front of you, the bright yellow jacket and red baseball cap on his head almost hurt your eyes with their intensity.

"Why are you helping her Hoseok? She's an ugly weirdo."

Grumbled one of them as he tried to step around the boy named Hoseok, his eyes locked with yours, evil intent zipping between you both.