8 | don't watch me cry

Nervous, but here we go.
**TW - loss of a child**
___________________________________

July 2019

Spencer arrived home from his evening workout to find Olivia sitting crossed-legged on the bed, singing softly while she rubbed lotion on her body. She was just shy of three months, and her bump was finally making an appearance on her slim frame.

"Hi," she looked up, a smile wide on her face.

"Hey," he leaned against the doorframe, taking in the scene in front of him.

"We missed you," she said as she went back to applying lotion.

"Sorry, workouts ran late again. Todd is killing us now that the pre-season is almost here."

The truth was Spencer had asked to extend their sessions. With the season right around the corner and so much regarding fatherhood to still figure out, he felt like time was already running out. The workouts were his outlet so that he could remain present around Olivia.

"That's okay," she replied, "I'm happy you're here now."

"I have a surprise for you tomorrow," he said softly, kneeling on the floor beside her.

"Yea?" she caressed the back of his neck as he leaned forward to kiss her stomach.

"Yea," he repeated, looking up at her.

"No workouts?" she guessed, a hopeful look on her face.

"No workouts," he chuckled, "but that's not the surprise."

"What could possibly be better than an entire Sunday of me, you, and our sweet baby boy cuddled up in this bed?"

"You'll see," he replied, pushing himself up off the floor to go take a shower.

Wondering what it could be, she looked down at her stomach. "You and I are in for a surprise, baby boy," she whispered.

Once she heard the water running, Olivia got up and headed to the kitchen for a snack. She spent several minutes going back and forth between the peach rings and the whole wheat crackers, Spencer's voice loud in the back of her mind the entire time.

Shaking him from her head, she pulled down the bag of her guilty pleasure. They were basically a fruit, right? Either way, growing a human was hard work, and she deserved a little sweet every now and then. Regardless of what Spencer thought.

___________________________________

The next morning, Olivia woke up early. Usually a late riser, pregnancy had her up at the crack of dawn on most days. Then by 2pm, she needed a nap to survive through the rest of the afternoon and evening.

Once Spencer was up, they enjoyed a slow morning, lounging around until he instructed her to get dressed for the surprise.

Before getting into the car, he gently wrapped a blindfold around her eyes, piquing her interest further.

"I hate to disappoint, but I don't know if I'm really feeling up to getting freaky in the backseat these days," she warned him once she felt the car slow down.

"And you say my mind is always in the gutter," he teased, pulling up to a gate.

"Are we at Disneyland?" she questioned, "I don't know if that's the best place for a pregnant woman either."

"Have you no faith in me, woman. Find some patience for a few minutes. We're almost there."

"Okay, okay," she replied, instead focusing on the noises outside the car since she was no longer allowed to guess.