43 | man of the year

Somehow, it felt like Spencer's first NFL game all over again. There were flutters in her stomach, her palms were clammy, and her heart was bursting with pride. Her insides felt like they were all twisting together from the nerves, but on the outside, Olivia kept her cool.

She had dressed in the same outfit that she had worn all those years back, her old school letterman jacket over a white cropped tee and ripped jeans. A last minute hair appointment ensured that her braids were freshly done, and with half of them pulled up into a knot on top of her head, she was a mirror image of herself at twenty-one.

There was only one glaring difference—a fidgeting baby strapped to her chest.

Hailey.

The greatest contributor to her happiness, besides Spencer, had also become her biggest source of anxiety. That's why, standing there behind the stanchions, Olivia looked down for the millionth time, checking that Hailey's little legs were tucked, every finger curled up safely against her. Having her daughter around all the action was new and scary, and she wasn't sure what Spencer would think of seeing his baby girl amidst the chaos.

She hoped it would make him happy. It had been over a week since he left with the team for Vegas.

"How old is she?"

"Ten weeks," Olivia smiled nervously, adjusting the custom fitted earphones that fit snuggly over Hailey's head. Hailey wouldn't be going out into the stadium, but Olivia wasn't taking any risks. "Tomorrow actually, she'll be ten weeks tomorrow."

"She's beautiful," the woman nodded.

The familiar sound of cleats on concrete echoed through the hallway, causing Olivia to perk up and forget to say thank you.

A few moments later, Spencer came around the corner, one of the first players leading the team towards the tunnel. When he caught her eye, she held her breath, waiting for his gaze to drop. And when it did, he grinned, a wide, beautiful grin.

She exhaled.

He quickened his pace, closing the distance between them. They had less than two minutes before the full team passed by, and he had to rejoin them.

"Daddy missed you," Spencer murmured as he lowered his head to Olivia's chest.

Hailey peeked up from the opening of the wrap, her dark brown eyes taking in the new presence in her and Olivia's orbit.

"I missed you." Olivia kissed his cheek. "How do you feel?"

He pulled away from Hailey and smiled sincerely. "I feel good."

Olivia dug into her pocket, feeling around for the small silk bag. "I got you a good luck charm," she said, unraveling the string ties.

She shook the bag until a long gold chain fell into her palm. Attached to it were two gold rings.

He ducked his head as she slipped it over his curls. As she lowered the chain around his neck, his thumb brushed over the engraved dates.

02-19-2020

12-02-2024

"So that you have a piece of each of us out there," she smiled, carefully pulling the rings from his grasp and tucking them into his jersey. Once they were safe against his chest, she grabbed his face and pressed a kiss to his lips. "Go make me proud."

_____

Far, far removed from the blaring speakers and loud yells of the field, Olivia sat watching the game in the one of the back rooms of Allegiant stadium. It was a stark contrast to her usual game day experience, but one she was overwhelmingly grateful for.