Chapter 16

Grell opened the door to his house, careful not to drop Demetria. He made his way inside his house, closing the door with his foot. He made his way to the bedroom and pushed open the door with his foot, and walked inside. Gently setting Demetria on the bed, he pulled the covers over her, brushing her hair out of her face. “Now, to go talk to William!” Grell said, walking away from the bed-tripping over his own feet in the process. Grell face-planted on the ground and groaned slightly. Grell got up off of the ground and made his way out of his bedroom, closing the door behind him. It was a rarity that he was ever in his own house-Despite what Will thought, Grell did work a lot of overtime. He did work a lot, but when it came to Bassy… oh, that sweet face, those dark locks, his wine red eyes… it was all so distracting!

    He sighed softly as he made his way to Will’s office, figuring that he would still be in there-it was like it was his home, he never left! Grell walked towards the Reaper HQ, kicking a pebble with his shoe, whistling softly. His mind kept playing what the demon had said about Demetria over and over again. Last of her kind…. Phoenix…. Mother burned to death at birth… Demon father… What did all those things mean? He shook his head slightly, and sighed. He stopped and thought for a moment.

    He would go see her Book of Records first… then he would go see Will. Grell noded slightly and kept walking towards Reaper HQ, walking past Will’s office. He headed into the library of records and went over to the index to see if he could find Demetria’s name. Flipping through the pages he looked around. There wasn’t a Demetria with a demon father… Or a Demetria whose mother burnt to death at birth…. He shook his head slightly and looked back through the list of Demetria’s, seeing if he missed one. When Grell was unable to find it, he became extremely concerned. He sighed softly and made his way to Will’s office and knocked on the door.

    “Come in!” Will called, looking up from his paperwork. Grell walked into the room and Will sighed. “What is it now Grell?” Will said, his tone showing that he was annoyed already.

    “Well, you see, there’s this girl-” Will cut Grell off.

    “And you finally realize how male anatomy works?” Will asked, annoyed with Grell already. Grell shot Will a glare.

    “Like I was saying, William, there’s this girl in my house-her name is Demetria-and she doesn’t have a Book of Records.” Grell said, causing Will to raise his eyebrow.

    “Are you sure that she doesn’t have a Book of Records?” Will asked Grell, looking at him with a curious stare.

    Grell nodded his head. “Yes, I am sure. I looked several times, she doesn’t have a Book of Records.”

    “What were her parents?” Will asked Grell, pushing himself and his chair away from his desk, standing up.

    “Her father was a demon. I’m not so sure about her mother, but her mother burned to death at birth.” Grell stated.

    “Well… if her father was a demon, she would still have a Book of Records… but… however…” He shook his head. “Nevermind, that’s a preposterous idea. May I see the girl?” Will asked Grell.

    Grell nodded and gestured with his hand back to where his house was. “She’s back at my house. I brought her there because I didn’t really want to leave her where she was incase the demon was still alive, and… well… I just thought of my house as the first place?” Grell stated, his statement ending as more of a question.

    Will nodded slightly. “Well, let’s go.” Grell nodded and led Will back to his house, trying to keep himself from whistling or humming. Will followed Grell into his house, closing the door behind him. “Where’s the girl?” Will asked Grell, looking around at his place.

    For a man who seemed the be everywhere, he sure did have such a clean home. Everything was in its place, and, Will noticed something that was extremely odd for Grell-all the books on his bookshelf were organized alphabetically. Although it seemed the Grell was never in his house, everything was dust free, and from what he could tell, there was nothing going rotten in the kitchen.

    “She’s in my bedroom.” Grell said, leading Will through the kitchen and down the hallway to his bedroom. He opened the door to his bedroom, making sure to keep quiet to make sure that he didn’t wake up Demetria. Grell led Will into the room, telling him to be quiet. He lit a candle and placed it down on the nightstand, the glow from the candle causing Demetria’s face to be illuminated with a gentle light.

    Will examined Demetria’s face, taking in the features that he could see. Blonde hair, slender body-but it seemed to be gaining more curves then it currently possessed, and full lips. He stopped examining what she looked like, and noticed that she smelled of something burnt. “She smells like something burnt…” Will stated, looking from Demetria to Grell. Grell only nodded, still looking at Demetria.

“The demon said something about a phoenix… It was confusing then, and it’s still confusing now.” Grell stated, his voice in a hushed whisper. Will frowned, and shook his head, his previous theory coming back to mind.

    “Maybe… maybe she’s half demon, half phoenix? From the small amount of phoenix’s I’ve met… they’ve all smelled like something burnt… And it might make sense… after all, the last pure phoenix burnt up and didn’t reform. Which caused suspicion upon the people that had met that phoenix that she had given birth to another lifeform-of course, we didn’t have any proof at the time… but maybe, just maybe we have proof now that the last pure phoenix burnt up giving birth…” Will’s voice trailed off towards the end, and he was tempted to brush off the theory.

    Grell looked up in surprise at Will. “That’s quite a theory… all though, it is possible, don’t you think?” Grell asked Will. Will only nodded and noted in his head that Grell wasn’t acting like he was normally, he wasn’t fawning over anything or anyone. This made Will wonder if Grell was alright, and if he was feeling well.

    “Are you… are you feeling well?” Will asked Grell, slightly concerned by his behavior.

    Grell nodded and looked up at Will. “What makes you think that I’m not?”

    “Well, you just aren’t acting like normal… You know what, nevermind.” Will stated, shaking his head. Grell looked slightly confused and shook his head and picked up the candle again.

    “Come on, we can go talk in the living room.” Will nodded and followed Grell out of the room, closing the door softly behind him, taking one last look at the suspected half phoenix.