Chapter 19

Demetria giggled at Sebastian’s slightly immature behavior. “I suppose you should read the first letter, but I will be reading the second letter first.” Demetria stated, looking over at Sebastian, who was making his way to the kitchen. Demetria followed him, and smiled softly.

    “Of course, but only after we make dinner.” Sebastian replied, opening the door to the kitchen for Demetria. Demetria smiled softly and walked in, Sebastian following in after her.

    “And who might this lovely lady be?” Bard asked Sebastian, winking at Demetria. She blushed bright red at the gesture.

    Sebastian resisted the urge to say ‘mine’, and instead replied calmly. “This is Lady Demetria. I assume she will be in our residence for a while-at least, for as long as she wishes to be.” Sebastian said, looking over at Demetria. Demetria smiled softly and looked up at Sebastian.

    “I do plan on staying for a while, after all, I don’t have anywhere to go just yet.” Demetria giggled.

    “Anyways, you and the rest of the servants have the night off. Demetria and I will be taking care of dinner tonight Baldroy.” Sebastian said, looking at Bard. Bard nodded and headed out of the room, thinking about how he was sure he had seen Demetria before. He was sure that she had been in the manor before, and that he had seen her before. He made his way down to the servants quarters when it hit him. He had seen Demetria in Sebastian’s room. She was that young girl with the rats nest of hair, and the dirt smeared face that had been sitting on Sebastian’s bed. Except, she seemed to have been much more well groomed after that day. Her hair was clean and shiny, her face and the rest of her body was dirt free, and she seemed to be wearing a much nicer dress. That was no dress for cooking.

    From what Bard could see, she was about Mey-Rin’s size-in height and in size. He made his way over to Mey-Rin’s room and knocked on the door. “Mey-Rin?” He called, hoping to see the normally happy redhead to open the door. He waited for a few more minutes before the door finally opened.

    “Sorry Bard! I’ve been looking for a spare dress!” Mey-Rin said, holding a spare dress folded up in her arms.

    “Why’ve you been looking for a spare dress Mey-Rin?” Bard asked, looking at her curiously.

    “You’ve seen that new girl with Sebastian, yes?” Bard nodded, and Mey-Rin continued. “Well, when they went into the kitchen, I heard that they were going to be cooking, and you very well can’t cook in a dinner dress. So I decided to go and find one of my spare dresses and give it to her, yes!” Mey-Rin said, her voice happy, and her emotions radiating happiness-which naturally, made Bard happy. This is why he loved to be around her so much, her happiness was basically contagious.

    “That’s very kind of you, Mey-Rin.” Bard said, smiling softly as he looked at Mey-Rin, his heart filled with warmth. Mey-Rin smiled happily at Bard, causing his heart to beat faster, and faster. “A-anyways, Sebastian said that we have the night off, so… I was… I was wondering if maybe you wanted to go stargazing with me tonight?” Bard asked Mey-Rin, his voice quick and nervous. Mey-Rin giggled and nodded.

    “Of course! I would love to Bard!” Mey-Rin said, smiling all the while. “Now, I really must be getting this dress to the lady, yes I must!” Mey-Rin said, her voice full of determination. Bard only chuckled and nodded, letting Mey-Rin past to go and take the dress to Demetria.

    He made his way back to his and Finny’s room to tell Finny that they had the night off, only stopping to pull out and light a cigarette. He took one long puff of it before holding it in his lips and making his way to his room to tell Finny. Smoking was a way to relieve stress and a celebratory kind of thing he supposed. Despite what he looked like on the outside, he was a very stressed man. Bard felt bad about being a bad cook, and flashbacks from his time at war tended to stress him out a lot. And then there was the extra stress of having to protect the manor at all costs. It could really do something to a guy. Of course, Finny was too young and far too ambitious to be stressed out, and he was sure that Mey-Rin was stressed out some days too, he was just unsure of how she relieved her own stress.  

    He walked into his room and was met with Finny holding an ashtray. “Put it in the ashtray Bard.” Finny’s face was stern, which surprised Bard. The young, hyperactive boy was rarely ever this serious.

    “What do you mean, Finny?” Bard asked Finny, looking up from the ashtray to the young boy.

    “I mean, put the cigarette out in the ashtray. I’ve declared our room a no smoking zone Bard.” Finny declared, looking at Bard, his face serious. Bard sighed and conformed to what Finny demanded and put out the cigarette in the ashtray, causing Finny’s mood to brighten instantly. Bard chuckled softly and sat down on his bed, laying down.

    Finny smiled softly and sat down on his own bed. “So, what brings you down here from the kitchen?”

    “Well, Sebastian kicked me out and gave everyone the night off.” Bard replied, looking over at Finny. “By the way, where’s Tanaka? I haven’t seen the old man in a while.”

    “Tanaka’s been in his room for a while-something about meditating for a while.” Finny said, sitting on his bed looking at Bard. Bard nodded and closed his eyes.

    “Wake me up when its nightfall, would you Finny?” Finny smiled and nodded.

    “Of course Bard.” Finny replied, causing Bard to chuckle before falling asleep.

---------------------------------------------

    Demetria walked out of the bathroom that was by the kitchen in the spare dress that Mey-Rin had brought for her, finally free from the restraints of the corset. She smiled gratefully at Mey-Rin. “Thank you, it was very kind of you to bring me this dress.” She hugged Mey-Rin gently, and Mey-Rin hugged back, smiling softly. “Alright, now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go help make dinner.” Demetria smiled softly and Mey-Rin nodded.

    “Of course! And really, it was no problem to bring you the dress, it just seemed like the nice thing to do!” Mey-Rin replied causing Demetria to chuckle. After a few minutes of casual talking, they finally went back to what they were doing before, and Demetria walked into the kitchen whereas Mey-Rin went to go put the dinner dress Demetria had been previously wearing in Sebastian’s room for her.