C H A P T E R 8

"I don't believe it!" Loira gasped at the book. Her eyes scanned the words again.

"Gruff has a girlfriend?" Loquin laughed before quickly quietening down at the glare Francis shot him. Winter hummed thoughtfully and looked around the room.

"Do you know any of Gruff's family members?" Winter asked. Francis nodded his head.

"Black Ice. It's Gruff's cousin's inn. Bulk. It's his cousin's name," Francis explained. Winter listened closely nodding slightly.

"What about his brother?" Winter asked carefully. Francis interlocked his fingers together.

"His brother died. His two-storey house was passed down to his first wife but she died from giving birth to her new family's child. Then there was only Bulk and Gruff left. Gruff didn't want his 'rival's' place and gave it to Bulk. Bulk apparently didn't want to have many more properties and riches. What I learnt, is that he is rich. Legit. He didn't want to be richer because criminals might still his things and attack," Francis spoke. Winter nodded.

"Now the property lay abandoned in the dark side of the streets. It might even be haunted!" Loquin widened his blue eyes. Loira smacked her brother's head.

"Of course not," she rolled her eyes. Loquin frowned dropping his head. 

"Maybe it is," Winter shrugged her shoulders. Loira sighed.

"Stop these nonsense. We're getting nowhere. We need to solve this journal that Marinietta has written," Loira pinched her nose. Francis shrugged.

"How..?" he asked. Winter stared at the pink journal.

"We need to read more of it," she explained. 

"Right," Loquin nodded cheerfully.

"Wait," Loira stopped her brother from reaching forward and grabbing the journal.

"What's this?" Loira tugged at a loose page from the journal. It was the cleanest page out of all.

"I think this isn't written by the owner of the journal. I think it's Gruff's notes to identify what Marinietta meant," Francis suddenly spoke. Words were scribbled messily on the clean paper. Loira stared at the page. Question marks were written all over it. But one bold word was noticeable.

Found out my well hidden secret!!

"Oh.. so that's how supernatural creature hunters were started," Loira frowned.

"Also how I lost Xena," Francis frowned rubbing his wrist. A pained look went over Francis's face.

"I don't think you lost her yet," Winter started.

"She might be held captured as well with all those 'suppose' dead creatures. I'll help you all find them," Winter promised. The three looked at her feeling relieved. Before Loquin turned to Francis.

"I thought you moved on?" Loquin narrowed his eyes. Francis growled.

"It's just that.. Winter reminds me so much of her. No offence," Francis quickly spoke. Winter shrugged offhandedly.

"It's ok,"

"Friends?" Francis held out his pinkie. Winter nodded.

"Friends." she linked her pinkie with his.

"Your hilarious and the best," Loira grinned bouncing on her toes.

"But now, we have things to investigate," Loquin leaned forward snatching the paper from his sister's hands. Loira scoffed rolling her eyes.

"Alright," she muttered. The group scanned through the paper.

"These notes are rubbish," Loira complained flipping through them.