C H A P T E R 1 7

Squert! Crack! Fruffle!  Winter cringed slightly at the sound the forest floor made beneath her boots. The wind whipped around her as the scenery blurred by in her peripheral vision. Hisses and growls sounded behind her. Her heart pounded in her chest out of adrenaline and excitement running away from the Pesks. Her eyes zoomed straight at metal fence before her. Speeding up, she launched herself over the top landing with a light thump on the other side. Without bothering to glance behind her, she rushed off. Silence soon, overcame the area she's in. A looming building stood mightily from behind the dead trees. Slowing down her pace, she gazed at the gloomy property. A faint flicker of candle caught her attention. It glittered behind one window. Shivering slightly from the cold, Winter nervously approached the door. Her knuckles rapped against the tearing wooden door. In a flash, it swung open. An elder lady with greying hair squinted up at her.

"Shouldn't you be at home with your family, kid?" she demanded rudely. Winter ignored her jeer.

"I was just curious about this place," she answered. The lady scowled.

"Well if you want to stay here, you aren't allowed to leave. Or they'll be consequences. We'll be after you," she sneered glowering. Winter scowled in return. This lady reminds her of Ms Grunell. A twinge of loneliness twitched inside her. She shoved the feeling aside and sighed feigning sadness to the woman in front.

"I'm really sorry. I just am looking for somewhere to stay.... why can't we leave this place though?" Winter asked. The woman narrowed her eyes in suspicion and paled slightly at the question. She quickly composed herself with a scoff. Winter furrowed her brow glancing behind the short woman. Behind her was darkly lit, faint drips of water sounded. It was all oddly familiar. Winter focused on her mind and let her mind reach out to the surroundings specifically the woman's mind. The corner of her lips curved down slightly, not really visible for the old lady. She was shocked at the barrier clouding the woman's mind. It spiked most of Winter's suspicions. She eyed the woman skeptically. Finally, her mind sneaked through the barrier and eavesdropped the woman's thoughts.

'Is this the girl? The lord must stay alert. She might be the one. She's asking too much. I'll need to rid her.. Wait, someone's invaded my min-'

Hurriedly, Winter's mind swept about the woman's mind quickly erasing all thoughts and quickly sneaked by the woman slipping up the staircase leaving the woman frozen for a few moments. Peering around, Winter overheard some conversations.

"-I heard that someone's sneaked into our property!"

"Don't worry, they might not be dangerous,"

"Imagine that they're here to save us.." Cue the dreamy sighs of longing.

"I wish.." Winter paused. She recognised that voice.

"Tia?" she whispered. Unexpectedly, the surroundings dissolved. Winter jolted awake, alarm filled her veins. Her eyes swept around. Her heart beating a hundred kilometres.

"What.. that was an illusion? No.." she hissed in frustration. Frustrated for not realising earlier. The gloomy building actually is the shop she had entered to buy a gift for Loira but renovated. Huffing, she leapt down from her odd spot on the tree whilst trying to remember how she got up there. She noticed a camouflaged painting on a cave behind her. Hesitantly, she reached her hand out skimming her fingertips along the flimsy painting. She tapped the frame and watched it move sideways slightly. Satisfied, she pushed the painting aside hearing its creak. A pile of dust collapsed in the huge entrance causing Winter to sneeze. Cautiously, she slipped into the space hidden behind the painting landing silently. The surroundings look like the bedroom in Gruff's office that she had entered with her friends. This time the room is empty. Only dusts and cobwebs decorated and filled the room. Winter's stormy blue eyes scanned her surroundings warily. Something is off. She closed her eyes concentrating and letting her mind reach out to the surroundings. A quiet thrum whispered further from the space in her mind. Furrowing her brows, she let sense stretch further and further. The thrum turned to a hum. Th thing causing the hum was piles of paper. Strewn across the room messily with blank papers. Curiously, she stared at the paper. Soon, words appeared. One by one.