𝙿𝚊𝚐𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙳𝚘𝚌𝚝𝚘𝚛 𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎

𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘠𝘰𝘳𝘬, 𝘕𝘠 𝘍𝘦𝘣𝘳𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘺 14𝘵𝘩 1991

It was a dreadfully cold and brisk winter night on Valentine's day here in New York city

It was a dreadfully cold and brisk winter night on Valentine's day here in New York city. Alas you couldn't partake in said festivities for the romantic occasion. Unfortunately while everyone was out with their significant others you were stuck on call at the hospital attending to patients in your care. It wasn't the most pleasant way to spend a lover's day as one would call it, but this is what you signed up for all those years ago when you attended Meharry Medical College for your undergraduate program and then another four years studying medicine at Howard University. Ever since you were a little child you had been infatuated with the medical field.

As a little girl you would patch up and fix all of your stuffed animals and any chance you got you demanded that all of your little friends be your patients during your sleepovers. It was safe to say practicing medicine was indeed in your veins since before you could pronounce or spell Sphenopalatine Ganglioneuralgia. Which is just a fancier and more educated medical term of saying brain freeze or as most would put it, an ice cream headache. By the time you were in high school you were soaring through all of your biology and chemistry classes. Of course you did stellar in the basic academic classes but those surrounding your future profession you took a strong liking to. Every year your school hosted a science fair, you always did your projects on anything pertaining to the human body. Delighted in your ambitious dreams, your parents not only encouraged your new found passion and love for medicine but they also helped fund it.

The desire to become a doctor was far greater than anything you or your family could have ever imagined for you. Once your father realized you were indeed serious about pursuing becoming a doctor. He decided to start saving up for your college funds long before you knew. You were only the tender age of nine years old when he and your mother began stashing away money so you could have a full ride to medical school, debt free. Your parents believed in you and made sure to send you to the best schools that would sharpen your astute brain for your age. It wasn't too shocking that you were able to skip a few grades. You were a prodigy from a young age. Your teachers marveled at how you could understand the most complex things in science at such a budding age when it came to medicine and science. You were only fourteen years old when your class took a school field trip to one of the hospitals to learn about biology. You were one of the only ones amongst your peers that asked questions and participated and grasped everything the residents taught to you. It was indeed your calling to be where you are today and if your love life or lack thereof had to suffer for it. So be it. Your family often relished in the fact that you were going to be the first doctor in the family. You took being a doctor so seriously that during your last years of high school and early college days you used to sit and watch the famous tv show centered around the medical profession called St. Elsewhere starring Denzel Washington as one of the lead physicians on the show.