𝙳𝚘𝚞𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝙲𝚛𝚘𝚜𝚜 (𝗖𝗵.𝟰)

June 7th 2023 South Beach Miami

After Ezra and Emerald's unfortunate argument, things became quite tense the rest of the evening

After Ezra and Emerald's unfortunate argument, things became quite tense the rest of the evening. Asha was still unaware of her brother and sister-in-law's marital qualms because they kept it from her. Ezra attempted to smooth things over with Emerald, but she just ignored him because, in her mind, there was absolutely nothing he could say or do to justify his actions. As well as take back the hurtful words he had spoken even though Ezra was innocent in a sense from actually stepping out on his beloved wife. There was still a level of distrust between them because he wouldn't relinquish and put in the request for a new partner. He didn't want a new partner and didn't have the heart to tell Emerald that. Despite the slight discrepancy they shared a while ago, Amber had become a good friend to him. She was still a perfect partner as well as a detective. There was too much history there for him to just up and walk away from it, but he knew that if he didn't try and fix things. His marriage would be in more jeopardy than he thought it would be.

"Hey, you want some company?." Asha stood beside Emerald as she was deskinning the salmon pieces for dinner. Emerald glanced at her with a small smile, nodding her head.

"Yes, thank you. You can wash your hands and get started on peeling and rinsing the shrimp." She pointed towards the fresh shrimp that sat to the side in a blue cooking bowl.

"Okay."  Asha nodded in agreement with Emerald's request and walked over to the kitchen sink. She carefully dispensed a small amount of hand soap beside the Dishwashing liquid and rubbed her hands under the running water, cleaning every inch of her hands. Once her hands were clean, Asha turned off the sink and picked up the bowl of shrimp that Emerald had placed on the counter. She took a moment to observe the texture and color of the shrimp, noting their freshness before she began peeling them one by one.

As she peeled the shrimp, she couldn't help but notice Ezra walking into the kitchen. His eyes scanned the room as he reached for a water bottle from the refrigerator. Asha noticed how Emerald slightly tensed up when he passed her. She could see the discomfort on Emerald's face as she shifted her entire body away from him. Ezra seemed to catch on to this, too, but he played it off, not saying anything. Instead, he closed the fridge door and leaned against the counter, sipping his water and watching Emerald season the salmon. The sound of the water running and the occasional shrimp shells hitting the bowl filled the room, along with the subtle tension between Ezra and Emerald. Despite the tension, Asha was focused on the task at hand, ensuring that every shrimp was peeled to perfection.