Ellie's Haunting Past 2 - Jacob's side.

Jacob watched as Ellie stormed out of the museum and her friends followed her.

"You called Jacob?" Ted came up from behind.
"Violent crisis averted. Thanks." The Rose boy responded.
"I overheard you call the l'il lady a mistake. Do you know her?" Kliff joined the conversation.
"Yeah. She's my twin sister. Always been a head-strong pain in the arse for mom. But she did protect me a lot from bullies and illnesses. No matter how mom tried, she couldn't tame that rebellious attitude. Skipped her dinners, locked her in the basement overnight, refused to give in to requests for a phone..."
"My... God!" Ted covered his mouth in horror.
Kliff "your mother locked her in the basement!?"
"Sometimes when she was too unruly that day. She did stop when we were 13 though." Jacob explained. His behaviour shocked the other guards there.
"Jacob... That poor girl. Did you try to stop your mom from doing it?" Ted questioned him.
"No. Why?" His question left Jacob confused.
"Uh... Because it's straight-up child abuse!" Kliff shouted.
"No, it's not! Mom never hit her! Well, except for that one time before our 18th birthday." Jacob began to mumble to himself. "But she was... I mean she... And then..."
"Jake. You're telling us you never realized that your mother was abusing your sister?" Ted's words set something in motion for Jacob.
"N-No I... She didn't... I mean... Ellie always exaggerated! She didn't... She... She did. Didn't she?" Jacob held his spinning head. "Oh, man. All this time it was... Oh, shitzue."
He thought back to when they were young.
"You're serious? Has she got you brainwashed? Jacob, our parents abuse me and you defend them!? You're supposed to be my brother! But you don't care."
"I think I... I think I need a  break." He walks off to think.

Jacob sits in the security room with a bottle of spring water, remembering the times he and Ellie shared.
Ellie always seemed on edge and nervous. He couldn't remember any time where he even saw Ellie smile for real. The more he thought of it, the more bruises he noticed on Ellie. She even got sick once from being in the basement for a full 24 hours, while Jacob was the only one getting her food and medicine.
"I'm an idiot!" He hugged his knees in the desk chair. Shifting to hold the left side of his torso where he had a surgical scar from when he was 14.
"I have to do something to make it up to her. But... How?" Jacob went about his shift in a dazed state, from being in his head. Soon, It was time for him to head home and with it, a decision.

Returning home he's greeted by their mother, Larrah, in the middle of her cup of tea. "Welcome home, sweety! How was work?"
The sweetness of his mother's voice made Jacob grimace. It all began to sound so fake to him after the epiphany. "It was... Eventful." He walked past her and began to wash dishes.
"Really? What happened?" Larrah sipped her tea.
"I... Uh... I saw Ellie today." He regretted saying it as soon as he said it, but he needed to see her reaction to his sister for himself.
"Ugh. She's still alive?"
Jacob put down the plates with a hard clack. "Yeah. She was with 2 of her friends. Did you know she's in the military?"
Larrah made a tiny scoff "Figures. She was always such a violent tomboy." That sweetness from before disappeared whenever she'd talk about Ellie and now Jacob knew the truth.
Their mother despised Ellie and he didn't know why. Jacob was curious but just listening to her was making him sick. "Mom? I've been meaning to tell you for a while now." He started and took a deep breath "I think it's time I move out."
Larrah paused. Processing what she just heard. "What?"
"My friend's been looking for a roommate for a while and I'm earning enough that I'll be able to pay for rent and groceries... I made arrangements a few weeks ago, to be honest with you. I just didn't know how to break it to you." Jacob said.
"Now why would you want to move out? You don't need to pay rent here and I let you use the car any time you want!" Her sweet voice was back, but there was a menacing tone to it. He gulps.
"Ellie's been living on her own since we were 18. I'm almost 30 and I think it's high time I start acting like it. I need to live on my own." Jacob asserted himself.
His mother moped, "You're at least gonna visit now and then,won't you? It's been so lonely since your father disappeared."
Jacob sighed "Of course, mom. Once a month or 2. Depending on how busy I get."
A smirk crept onto Larrah's lips "Ok. You can move in with your friends. But I want constant updates." She cupped her son's cheek and added, "You know how much I worry about you and your health."
"My health!? What about Ellie's health!?" That is what Jacob wanted to say but instead mumbled, "Ok. I'll try. I'm gonna start packing tomorrow."
With a nod from his mother, he heads to his room for the night.

The security guard layed in bed, wearing an eggshell-white muscle shirt and a pair of salsa-red shorts, pondering.
He pondered, "What can I do to make it up to her? Where can I even find her? She's not gonna forgive me that easily. What do I do?"
After about an hour or so of scheming the perfect apology (with 0 results for an actual plan) Jacob dozed off with the desk lamp still on.