Curtisson & Toppat-Neo Part.1

It's been nearly a whole year since Burt and I hung up our hats for good and opened a small café. It was pure bliss waking up to his sweet face every morning and the innocent aroma of coffee helped me move on from my life of crime and vengeance, until one day...

All seemed normal after the morning rush. Burt was cleaning up tables and I was finishing up an order, when my next customer strolls through, carrying an umbrella. She looked rather young, no more than 11 or 12. Light brown hair and familiar orange eyes, wearing a pale-pink jumpsuit under a black and pink, dress-like trench coat.

"Welcome! What can I help you with?" I greet her at the cash register.
"Everything looks so good! I think I'll have... A raven on rye."
The young girl's odd request froze me still. Raven on rye. How would she know Toppat thieves-cant? "I... I beg your pardon, miss?" Hesitation in my voice. Not good. I've been out of the game too long.
"I said..." The little London girl slid a black toppat across the counter. "Raven on rye."
My gaze searches for Burt among the occupied tables to see him listening in with the same questions I had on our minds. "Sorry, everyone! We have to close up early. Thank you for coming."
Burt escorts everyone out and flips the open sign around.

"How one earth do you know that code?" Attempting to hide my fear behind a fake wall of intimidating attitude.
"I taught it to her." Another British and feminine voice spoke behind my back.
"Carol. What are you... I thought... What do you want?" All my questions multiplied as I whip around to see my old friend.
"Isn't it obvious? We're here to re-recruit you." Carol shifted into a cold smile. "I've heard of your... Topcap gang. To be honest, I'm rather disappointed."
I shrank into my shoulders. "Trust me. It was not my best idea. I was at a pretty low point. How are you not... you know. In jail?"
Carol tilted her height onto one leg and crossed her arms. "You forget? I went on vacation to London right before the space station launch. After I found out the ship missed its mark, I decided to stay in Brittan and rebuild the Toppats within the shadows of big ben."
"And mind telling us why you recruited a 9-year-old?" Burt stepped in, beside the little girl.
She stomps on his foot and pulls his shirt down the meet her empty-yet-furious expression. "I'm 13. So shut your yap, old man."
Carol raises her hands in protest. "That's enough, Clementine." The girl lets go silently. "This is Clementine Copperbottom. She is actually Reginald's secret daughter."
"Daughter!?" Burt and I shout in unison.
"There's a second Copperbottom?" I add.
"Yes. My mother was Heather Copperbottom. She passed away long ago and I've been searching for my father, until I met miss Carol." Clementine explained.

"Now, since that's out of the way, are you in?" Carol holds out the black hat. "It'll be just like old times. However, I will be Chief and you'll be my right hand. Quite a few new recruits will only take orders from a female Cheif." Clemintine and another woman (I could only presume is our old' friend Matilda because of the pink hair and envious fashion sense) block my exit routes.
"I..." I stared at the top hat in her hands.
"Sven..." Burt sounded worried. I wouldn't blame him. This kind of offer, I would've jumped at the chance! The Toppats aren't gone, just hidden and upgraded.
My hand shook as I raised it in front of the hat, and smacked it to the ground. "It's a tempting offer. But I have to decline. We left that life behind and we're in no rush to be involved again."
Burt rushed over and latched on, smiling. "You heard him." I hugged him back.
A huff came from Carol's throat. That's never good. "I didn't want to do this. But you have no choice in the matter. Girls?" With a snap of her fingers, Clemintine and Matilda pulled Burt away from me, getting a fist to the gut when I tried to stop them. Down on my knees, I watch the young Copperbottom lock a small black collar around my boyfriend's neck. "Burt! No, stop it! What are you doing to him!?"
"It's just insurance. Nothing like an exploding and self-tightening collar, but shock collars get the message across well enough." Of course, Carol heard about the suicide collar I had... commissioned.
It's true what they say, 'what goes around, comes around.'
"I won't use it as long as you play nice and do as I say. Am I clear?"
"Crystal." I growled.
"Good. Your first order, put this on." She hands me the black hat again.

I pay attention to the texture of the silk fabric.
"Sven... Don't." Burt breathed.
I'm sorry, Burt. If this is the only way to spare you from getting fried... the hat fits perfectly as I stand up.
"Welcome back, Svensson." Carol voices with a cocky grin I've never seen her make.
Don't worry, Burt. The Neo-Toppat's are going down. I'll get that collar off of you...
If it's the last thing I do.

To be continued...