16

"we're back!" camilo yelled as we entered the house. mirabel noticed us from the balcony.
"um camilo, could we talk?" asked mirabel with a fake smile, camilo looked over at me before responding.
"actually I was going-"
"perfect come on!" she said quickly snatching him away by the arm and then up to bruno's tower.

"maria!" i heard miguel call out by our room, i turned my head at him "come here for a sec." he said.
"what is it?" i walked over to him
"just get inside." he pushed me and closed the door behind us.
"what is it?" i repeated.

"i've been thinking about those green shards." he said, i crossed my arms letting him continue.
"i think they might bruno's." he said, i gave him a blank stare.
"wow, as if he wasn't the one burying them." miguel rolled his eyes.
"what i mean is," he sat me on his bed "they might be one of his visions!" he whispered.

i tilted my head "what do you mean?" he sighed.
"everytime he has a vision, they always end up as this sort of green glass panel." he started pacing up and down.
"and how do you know that?" he gave me a blank look.
"he literally shows a bunch of visions to the town folk, most of them pass out for some reason." he shrugged.

"well what else?" i asked.
"i think the person on that vision is one of the madrigals." he whispered again, i frowned.
"I don't think no one in the family can make things float." he sighed.
"i mean there's always mirabel..." he mumbled.
"but mirabel doesn't have a gift?"
"that's the thing!" he pointed at me "what if she ends up having a gift and that makes her start to float?" he began to pace around again.

"are you listening to yourself?" i asked.
"what do you mean?" he frowned.
"one, there is no way mirabel would burst out nowhere with a gift and two why would bruno hide that from her?" miguel chuckled.
"because it might be too powerful!" he whispered again.
"and how do we know its mirabel? it could be anyone else." i stood up.

"who else? her distant cousin or something?" miguel rolled his eyes.
"i mean i'm the only one who has levitation..." i shrugged, miguel laughed.
"right, as if you could make yourself float." miguel teased.
"just saying." i smirked.
"right, if that does happen i'll happily die of a heart attack." he joked

"we don't know anyone else with that kind of power." i glared.
"what about mariana? didn't she also have levitation?" miguel suggested, i bit my lip.
"you know we're not supposed to talk about mariana," miguel groaned "besides," i sighed "she hurted many people with her power." miguel nodded.
"well you did break lucas's leg once and got your primary school teacher ran over." he shrugged, i cringed with the memories.

"those were accidents, besides it wasn't my fault she got ran over." miguel raised one of his eyebrows "i was trying to save her from that other car!"
"yeah but you also hated her." he smirked, i sighed.
"i was six miguel." i sat down with distress.

"at least you haven't hurt anyone yet." miguel crossed his arms.
"very funny." i rolled my eyes.
"just saying." he chuckled.
"time for dinner!" we heard pepa call out, miguel jumped with excitement like a little puppy.

"seriously?" i chuckled.
"what? i'm starving!" he grinned and quickly got out of the room.
i sighed and began to make my own way towards the kitchen, everyone was already sat down on the dining room but there's was a pair of empty seats—mirabel and camilo's.

"where are they?" asked julieta looking over at her sister.
"i don't know!" pepa shrugged.
"i heard them going to mirabel's room." mumbled dolores before letting out a squeal.
"do you hear what they're saying?" asked felix, dolores stood quiet for a bit before answering "nope." she then looked down at her food, felix sighed.

i looked over at dolores getting her to look back at me and give me a little wink. i frowned and dolores looked away.
"is something wrong maria?" asked julieta, i shook my head "i was just thinking about something." i smiled.
"about what?" alma glared at me, julieta sighed.
"mama please!" julieta whispered, alma glared at her daughter and continued to eat her food, i looked over at my mom noticing the same glare in her expression.

"well...i like your new scarf antonio" my dad complimented getting a grin from the little boy, alma then started to glare at him. my dad gulped and looked away.
"she wants to kill me." he whispered in fear, i gave him a nervous smile trying to think of it as a silly misunderstanding.

dinner that day was offly quiet because neither mirabel or camilo showed up and because alma kept glaring at me and my dad for some reason, i could understand if she glared at miguel but me and my dad? that man literally cleans the entire house before lunch everyday!
i was just glad it was finally over, i could hide in my room and sleep—if i could stop thinking about mirabel and camilo of course. it wasn't usual for them to skip dinner, they were neither discussing something serious or just fell asleep, let's hope it's the second option.

"if i were you i would check up on those two..." dolores whispered behind me, i looked over at her and saw a smirk on her face.
"is it bad?" i asked.
"no, just something you need to hear." she giggled and walked back to the kitchen, i looked over at mirabel's door. was it really that important?

her door then opened and camilo came out, looking a bit paler than usual, i frowned and walked up to him before he could go inside  his room.
"hey camilo." i waved making him jump slightly, he blushed  a little.
"hola maria." he waved back a bit hesitant.
"what's wrong?" i tilted my head.
"wha-what do you mean?" he said.
"you didn't eat dinner tonight, are you ok?" i put my hand on his shoulder, he sighed before taking my hand away.
"i'm just tired." he smiled softly, i could see sadness in his eyes.

i wanted to stop him, i wanted to know what made him so sad after talking with mirabel, i wanted to be useful. but yet again, i would just end up messing up like last time. i would continue being useless anyways, just like lucas, i wouldn't be able to make him feel better or even stay happy. lucas killed himself because i wasn't able to help him, perhaps camilo would end up doing the same thing? i wish i could stop it, but i'm useless,i'm a piece of garbage and a terrible friend. i wanna help him i really do, but i just feel like i'll star a loop.
i'm a terrible friend.

"maria?" camilo frowned while looking at me, i guess he could see i was holding up my tears.
"it's...it's fine." i breathed "good night." i gulped.
"ok." he sighed and closed the door, leaving me alone by his door.
i breathed a sharp breath, i just had to think of something else, he wouldn't do it. i hoped not.
"maria are you ok?" i heard mirabel behind me, i sighed.

"just...overwhelmed." i smiled at her, she bit her lip.
"wanna talk about it?" i  thogut for a bit "you don't have to tell me everything, just the necessary." she put a hand on my shoulder.
"sure," she placed her arm around my shoulder and led me to the inside of her room, it wasn't fancy like the others but it still looked cozy and comfortable. we sat down on her bed.

"what's troubling you?" she asked softly, i took a deep breath.
"please..." she tilted her head "don't tell anyone or even camilo." i gulped.
"of course." she smiled.
"it's just..." i stopped, unsure if i could talk about the topic.
"take your time." mirabel encouraged while placing her hand on top of mine.