22

"so." i said while we continued to stare at the glowing town "is it bad if we stay here?" i asked.
"nah, we're not doing anything." camilo shrugged "besides we're still paying our respects." he looked down at his candle, i  looked down at mine.
"where did you get these?" camilo looked over at me.
"stole them," i quickly looked over at him "just kidding." he laughed.
"just bought them." he smiled while staring at his candle.

i looked down at him, his features being highlighted by the flame of the candle. his dark green eyes and freckles being more noticeable as the darkness of night began to surround us,  i never thought someone's eyes could look this pretty by candle light neither their freckles. 
"you look pretty by the candle light." i spat out getting his attention, he blushed slightly while he stammered.
"you-you you think im pretty?" he grinned, i smiled back.
"i bet you'd still look good with a ponytail." i shrugged.

"or maybe in a bun like dolores!" he said letting his face shift onto dolores.
"that could work too." i chuckled and camilo shifted his face back to normal.
"you're taking this way too well." camilo chuckled, i tilted my head.
"am i not supposed to?" i frowned, he let go of my hand and used both of his hands to hold his candle.
"it's not like that." he sighed "it's just i never thought there would be people who would accept me." he smiled softly.

"well you aren't a bad person so it wouldn't make sense if people didn't." i said looking at him while his side profile was almost covered by his curls.
"i guess you're right." he chuckled "i guess i know how you guys feel like." he looked into my eyes.
"who?" i asked looking back.
"you and your family." he said.
"i mean you're not wrong." i chuckled.

we continued to stared into each other's eyes with our heads leaned against the tree behind us, we could only hear the crowd talking whilst the town's folk laughed and made jokes to each other as the lights of the candles and lanterns grew brighter.
"isn't your birthday this month?" camilo spoke breaking eye contact.
"i think so." i gave him a curled up smile.

"well mine is also coming up." he shrugged.
"what day?" i asked.
"december 14th." he smiled, that's when my heart skipped a beat "what?" he frowned.
"mine is also on the 14th." i looked away shyly.
we stood in silence feeling the atmosphere fill up  with awkwardness, the boy then began to hum a familia melody letting his hand intertwine with mine again.

"i know that song." i smiled, camilo looked over at me.
"really?" he asked, not really believing me.
"it goes like..." i trailed off trying to think of the song "dos oruguitas, enamoradas." i sang softly "pasan sus noches," camilo turned himself to me still holding his candle "e madrugadas." camilo joined in with a soft tone.
"llenas de ambre." he then sang while i smiled at him "siguen andando." i took a deep breath.

"y navegando un mundo." we sang together, letting our voices create their own calm melody.
"que cambia y sigue cambiando." we smiled at each other "navegando un mundo, que cambia y sigue cambiando." we then stopped, camilo and i chuckled warmly.
"i thought you were raised in brazil?" he teased.
"yes but my mother is colombian remember?" camilo nodded.
"so she used to sing it to you?" he asked.
"yeah she would sing to me and my brother sometimes before bed." i sighed.

"good times huh."said camilo leaning his head on top of mine.
"childhood is  always something you'll miss." camilo hummed in response.
"hey there lovebirds." the two of us jumped hearing miguel walk up to us.
"what the fuck miguel?!" i shouted while camilo clinged himself on my arm.

"just wanted to see if you two were making out." miguel smirked.
"that's disgusting." i sighed gripping onto my candle, miguel then squeezed himself between the two of us with a smug expression.
"what are you even doing here?" i asked crossing my arms.
"meh," he shrugged "i was bored so i came here." he smirked.
"and i thought you had friends." i glared while miguel stuck out his tongue.

"where's you candle?" asked camilo rubbing the back of his neck.
"gave it to mom." miguel shrugged again.
"you should go look out for luísa." i said, miguel cringed.
"she's so fucking scary!" miguel mumbled.
"no she's not!" said camilo 
"yeah she's a fucking sweetheart!" i responded, miguel put a hand against his chest trying to look offended.

"since when do you like her?" asked miguel.
"since i started talking to her so shut it." i said hitting him on the head.
"you guys scare me." camilo chuckled.
"look maria you're scaring the chameleon boy." miguel teased.
"the chameleon boy." said camilo in a funny raspy voice making me and miguel laugh.

"ok i like him." said miguel "he's also kind of cute don't you think maria?" miguel smirked looking over at me with camilo's head popping out from behind the older guy.
"i guess?" i frowned, miguel began to yell "oh! camilo's cute!" he teased before looking over at camilo who was insanely blushing.
"shut up." i glared at the boy making miguel laugh.