35

"how many petals does a tree have?" asked mrs.mirandez while we drank coffee together at her place.
"I don't know?" i said taking a sip of my drink.
"none!" the woman proceed to laugh, i just gave her a quiet chuckle—it wasn't funny but nevermind that.

"say," said mrs.mirandez "camilo's birthday is tomorrow isn't it?" she was right, i suppose you could say time went by rather quickly.
"yes it is." i nodded, the woman chuckled.
"I can't wait to see how it goes this year," she sighed with content "last year camilo fell down his chair before blowing the candles!" she giggled.

"oh really?" i smiled trying to figure it how it happened.
"oh i think i have a picture, wait here!" the woman hurried out of the couch and started to look for the picture through her shelf "ah here it is," she took out a book and went back to sit next to me.

she opened the book, revealing various pictures of her, her family and some with the madrigals.
"here!" she giggled pointing at a picture of camilo with a goofy face falling down his chair, i laughed.
"oh can i buy this picture?" i asked whilst i laughed with the lady.
"no buy i could give you a copy!" i grinned.
"oh please do." we laughed.

it's been a few days since i actually opened up to camilo and our relationship has remained the same for some reason, i thought he would at least start to pity me with everything but he continued to treat me the same way as before! it did make me happy, but since then i also had been feeling a bit...too happy around him. like he was my ultimate source of happiness or something, it felt weird and confusing.

i was then leaving mrs.mirandez's house after helping her with getting her weekly shopping inside her house, i swear for a old woman she sure brought alot of filled up bags!
i was walking up to the madrigals' residence when gabriel ran over to me with a daisy on his right hand.

"hey maria," he said catching up his breath.
"hey gabriel what's up?" i asked looking down at the flower "nice flower." he nodded.
"it's for you, actually." he said handing me the small daisy.
"oh thank you," i smiled.

"let me just..." gabriel took the flower and placed it on my hair "looks pretty on you." he smiled.
"thanks," i nodded, not sure why i nodded but ok.

there was an awkward silence, these types of silence were the things that bothered me the most,makes you wonder if the person is silently judging you or waiting for you.

"well um...i'll see you around?" he blushed.
"sure." i shrugged with a small smile, he waved and began to walk away.
perhaps it was the less slouching that was missing, camilo slouched alot but gabriel had a good posture—which makes sense on why he's taller than camilo. no it wasn't that, what was it then?!

i sighed and continued to walk towards the house, suddenly i spotted dolores who seemed to be also walking up towards her home.
"dolores!" i said catching up to her, he immediately looked over her shoulder and waved at me.
"hola maria." she said in a quieter voice.
"long day?" i asked, she nodded.
"mariano and i are getting married." she let out a squeak.

"oh!" i grinned.
"he was also thinking of moving into our own home." she shrugged.
"well good for you guys, have you told the family?" she shook her head.
"i was going to tell them tonight, so wish me luck hehe..." she smiled nervously.

it was then dinner time, we were all sat down by the table and i was obviously sat down next to camilo and my brother by the corner meanwhile mirabel, luísa and antonio—with his pet leopard—sat in front of us.
"everyone," dolores called out getting alma's attention "i have an announcement." she stood from her seat.

"and what might that be dolores?" asked alma a bit confused.
dolores took a deep breath "me and mariano..." she bit her lip "we're getting married." the entire table gasped.
"that amazing mi hija!" said pepa.
"it is, congratulations dolores." smiled alma.
"yes congratulations," my dad gave her a little clap but received a glare from alma.

"there's also something i need to say," she sighed.
"well go on!" said felix.
"me and mariano wanted to have our own home." alma's eyes widened.
"but this is your home." said alma.
"yes but we wanted our own," dolores fidgeted with her fingers.
"why can't you just live here like me and your mama?" asked felix.

"we think it's better... privacy reasons." she looked away shyly.
alma sighed in distress "we'll talk about that later." she said "let's just think about your engagement for now." she smiled, dolores smiled nervously.
"dang these people enjoy hearing sex noises huh?" miguel whispered in my ear.
"family i guess." i shrugged and bursted into snickers with miguel.

"oh and let's not forget about camilo's birthday tomorrow!" said pepa.
"ah yes," alma smiled "he'll be turning seventeen correct?" she looked at the chameleon boy, he nodded.
"well, let's try our best to make his birthday a perfect success!" he raised her cup and so did the rest of the family—we raised ours a bit later after figuring out what was happening.