Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Sophie's POV

I sat with my head in my knees on the floor of the bookstore. I felt like shit. My head was booming, my eyes were sore, I was having cramps, and worst of all, I was back in school...with Zach hurling pathetic insults at me.

"Soph, are you okay?" Mary whispered to me as Kate wrote some maths problems on the flip chart. "Do you want me to ask my mom if you can leave? Are you still ill?" I didn't reply, I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to steady my breathing. I didn't want to be there but I had no choice.

I wanted Carl...but right now, I knew he probably didn't want me.

"I think she should stay here. She might actually be able to learn how to add two plus two by the time we leave." Zach smirked. I looked up and squinted at him angrily.

"Please, Zach. Be quiet." Kate said, looking round from the board. She tried writing again, but her pen ran out of ink. "Can I trust you lot to stay here, in peace?" She asked, before saying "If it reaches one and I'm not back, you can go." and walking out to find a pen.

"According to what I heard yesterday afternoon, Sophie can't stay anywhere in peace. She was getting a mouthful from her so called friends." Zach said, still smirking in my direction. I was about to push myself up but Mary put her arm on my shoulder, keeping me sat down. She raised her eyebrows and gave me a reassuring nod.

"Zach, can you shut up?" Mary said giving her brother a glare. He completely ignored her.

"Have you been on the drink, Sophie? You look pissed as fuck." He pretended to be serious, then cackled. This time I got up, pushing Mary off of me and walked over to him.

"Woah. Hey, look, Don't upset yourself even more, Soph. You should prepare yourself for a breakup. From what I heard yesterday, you and Carl aren't on the best of terms." I clenched my fists and clenched my jaw.

"Soph." Mary said quietly behind me. I, again, ignored her. I tugged on his blonde hair and pulled him to his feet. I let go and he glared at me.

"Go on then." He said, smirking again.

"What." I spat.

"Punch me. It won't hurt...It'll be just like having one of my brother's toys being chucked at me." That was it. I was so fucking done with him.

I once again, grabbed his hair, pulled his head down and punched him as hard as I could from under his chin. I knew it was hard because he fell to the floor and leet out a groan.

"God! Sophie, stop!" Mary called from behind and all my 'classmates' were completely shocked. I crouched next to him and looked at his half terrified face. "Did you like that? You want some more?" I asked. Before he could reply, I punched his cheek, causing him to spit sideways.

My knuckle was bleeding and bruising. So was Zach's face and nose. I guess he had learned his lesson. Before I stopped, I still had a load of rage built up inside of me, so I moved my foot back and kicked him, straight in the balls. He let out a yelp and started coughing.

"STOP IT, SOPH." Mary screamed and got up, pulling me away from her brother. It only took me a couple of seconds to realise what I had done, and I began crying again.

"Fucking...crazy bitch." He said, being helped up by Oliver, one of his friends.

I looked up at the clock on the wall. 1:03pm. I was free. I ran out, before Kate could come back and to the bathroom. I splashed water onto my face and looked into the mirror. I was a total mess.

"I'm...a freaking monster." I whispered to myself. My bleeding wrist was stinging, so I looked in the cabinet built by Daryl and got out a clean bandage. I washed my hand, while trying to stop crying and then wrapped the bandage around it, stopping it from bleeding out more. I closed my eyes, tight as I got another cramp. They were the worst I'd ever had, so I ran into a toilet cubicle and locked the door.