Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Carl's POV

"Don't shoot me this time." Sophie whispered into my ear. For a second, I was confused.

"Shoot you? I don-" Then I remembered. How could I forget? A rush of guilt flowed through me as I remembered Maggie's words:

"She's lost it."

It.

It being our baby. It died. Because of me.

"You're - again- I - what am I saying?" I put my hand on my forehead and breathed out.

Be calm, Carl. It's not gonna end bad this time I thought to myself.

I snapped back into focus and looked at Sophie. She was looking at the floor. "I'm sorry." She whispered.

Glenn, who was still standing next to us, put his hand my shoulder. He nodded his head at me, then over to Sophie, signaling for me to comfort her.

"Soph. Why are you sorry?" I said. She looked at me with watery eyes.
"It's more my fault." I said.

"So you do think it's 'a fault' then?", she said, looking upset.

"What? No! It's just...a shock." I said and she smiled a little.

"You can't tell anyone else, either of you." She said, sternly. "It's only been a couple days...it might be nothing."

I hugged her. She rested her head on my chest and I put my chin on her head.

"We're older now. We'll make it work this time." I said and felt her nod against me before I kissed her head. "And no. I won't shoot you this time." She smiled up at me.

Glenn smiled at us and then Maggie walked in, holding Alex who was practically sat on her now seven month baby bump.

"You made up, then." she said, putting Alex down, smiling.

I looked down at Sophie and smiled. She smiled back. "I'd say so." I replied to Maggie as she kissed Glenn on the cheek.

"Maybe we should leave these two in peace." I said and Sophie hugged Glenn.

"You sort yourself out, okay?" He said to her and she nodded. "See you tomorrow."

We walked out and back to our store. On the way, we bumped into Mary.

"You're lucky, Soph. Rick went on a run with my dad, Carol and Michonne. He won't be back for a couple days." She said, looking a little panicked. She sighed.

"How...is he?" Sophie asked and I held her hand.

"Oh, the asshole is fine. He's eating food, right now. He keeps complaining about his balls, but he was asking for it. I'm not gonna lie, Soph. You scared me back there. What's up?"

"I...uh" she began. I squeezed her hand. "She's not been feeling well. I guess the headache got the better of her." I said and Sophie squeezed my hand back, which I took as a thank you. Mary nodded, then stared at us for a couple of seconds.

"Do it, you two." She said before smiling. I looked at her and then Sophie in confusion.

"Guys...I mean kiss. I've never seen it before. Zach said some shit about you two breaking up. I wanna know that's not true." I furrowed my eyebrows at what she said about Zach. Maybe he heard us shouting.

Sophie squeezed my hand again.

"Go on, Carl." She said, smirking at me.

"Yeah, Carl. I know you want to." Mary chirped, making me laugh. I turned to Sophie who was also laughing.