Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Sophie's POV

The gunfire had stopped

The pain had stopped

The tears had stopped

And for the first time in three days, the baby had stopped.

I was tired out of my mind, and so was Carl. We still hadn't picked a name for her yet, but I couldn't stop thinking about my little boy that I lost.

Carl let out a massive groan as she began crying in the middle of the night. He began to get up, but I stopped him with my arm and got up. "I'll go. She's probably hungry." I said, beginning to unbutton my shirt.

"Ouch." I muttered to myself as she drank hungrily from me.

After a few minutes, she stopped and opened her tiny blue eyes in my direction.

"Hey, sweetie." I said, yawning. I bent my head down and gently kissed her forehead. I might as well take advantage of what we have here. I thought. God only knows, we might not have it all for much longer.

As she quietened again, I set her down again in her makeshift crib- a large crate padded out with sheets and cushions- and ambled back over to the bed.

I laid on my front. "Owww." I whispered. "What's up?" Carl said quietly turning to me.

"They hurt." I said into the pillow.

He gave a breathy laugh. "Sorry." He turned to his side and wrapped his arms around my still pretty big stomach and pulled me into his chest.

"Get some sleep. You need it." Carl said, kissing my head and closing his eyes.

***

Carl's POV

Sophie was still fast asleep, as I was towel drying my hair, getting back from the shower.

I chucked my towel on the floor and looked over to the door, where I saw Glenn slowly approaching, looking nervous.

I opened the door and smiled towards him. "What's up?" I said as he came through the door.

"Glenn?" I said as he stared at the floor.

"Where's Sophie?" He said, looking shifty.

"Asleep. Why?"

"I...well...um...I-"

"Glenn?"

"I have to tell someone. And...well...it can't be Sophie."

"What are you talking about?"

"When...when we knew that the...your boy was...dead."

I raised an eyebrow.

"Yes. You...took him out."

"I...I did. But...I...I couldn't do it."

"What?" I said, staring sternly.

"I couldn't... you know...stop it."

I stared at the floor and clenched my jaw before looking back up at him. "So...when you said it was sorted y-"

"Where is he?" We both turned around, to see Sophie, standing up with an angry expression on her face.

Glenn gulped. "I...he...w-"

"WHERE IS HE?" She yelled, waking up the baby.

"I...don't know."

"WHAT?" She yelled again, and the baby began to cry.