Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Glenn's POV

I sat up against the wall and sighed, rubbing my aching eyes. I looked around the classroom we were sleeping in overnight.

I couldn't sleep...and I didn't know why. After several minutes of sitting and staring into space, my mouth became incredibly dry.

I looked around for my water bottle, but it was too dark to see anything, so I felt around for my flashlight. I found it and switched it on, the first thing coming into sight was Maggie, sleeping peacefully on the floor. Alex was lying next to her, snoring quietly, and Addie lay across Maggie's stomach, scrunching her top up in her small hands.

I moved the flashlight around, trying to find my bottle, and stood up when it wasn't near me. I took several steps forwards, and carefully went over Maggie to our stuff. My bottle was lying on the ground half full.

I bent down and picked it up, unscrewing the cap and taking a sip, quenching my thirst. As I made my way back to my sleeping spot, I shone the flashlight around to make sure I didn't trip over anything.

As I did, the light cast over Sophie, who was sleeping near Carl and Finn. It seemed like she had rolled away a little.

But she didn't look okay at all. She was shaking and rubbing at her arms and hands harshly, giving herself scratches. Her head was being shook from side to side, as if she wanted to get away from something. Her lips were moving, but she made no noise and I didn't know what she was saying.

I couldn't just leave her like that. I made my way carefully over to her, avoiding stepping on sleeping people.

I crouched down when I reached her, and I could see tears making their way down her face. The scratches she had given herself on her arms were bleeding.

"Sophie?" I whispered, putting a hand on her shoulder. No reaction. I reached forwards and grabbed one of her arms, stopping her from scratching herself.
"Sophie. Wake up." I whispered, a little louder this time.

Her eyes slowly opened, and she squinted at the flashlight which I shone away from her face.

"Wh..what's happening?" She said, loudly. I put my finger on my lips, signalling to her that she needed to keep quiet.

"Glenn...I...I'm so scared." She said quietly, still crying.

I sat her up and pulled her into my arms. "You're with us. There's no need to be scared."

"B...but what if they find me?"

"Who? Who's going to find you?"

We made our way over to a wall which we leaned on.

"Sophie, you need to talk to m-"

"I killed her." She whispered quietly, beginning to rub on her arms again. "There...there's blood all over my arms. I...I killed her."

"What? Who did you kill?"

She looked up at me, breathing quickly. "My...my mum." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Soph...I know you killed her. We all do. The first day I ever spoke to you. Remember? You said you killed everyone in your family because you had to. You can't still feel guilty about that."

She shook her head almost violently, wrapping her scratched arms around her knees.

"My mum...she wasn't dead. Not when I thought she was."
She wiped her running nose and teary cheeks on her sleeve and looked up at me.

"But...how do you know...that." I slowed down at the end of the sentence, realising what had happened.
"You...you were with her?"

She nodded slowly in reply, tears forming again in her eyes.

"What happened? What did she do to you?" I whispered.

She stared at her forearm which had dried blood staining her skin.
"She did this. She...put a tracker in my arm. I couldn't get out...and that's why I made that video." She paused and bit her lip.

I stayed quiet to let her speak. "It was all underground. They had everything...like the airport, but better. She...she did my hair. Gave me clothes. But...she wanted me to...to..." She stopped, and took several breaths, checking that no one was awake.

She whispered even quieter. "She wanted me to...get pregnant. With Harvey. He didn't want to because...well...he doesn't like girls. But I didn't either. For obvious reasons.

We tried getting out. Harvey and I. We got our trackers out...and wrote a message to you with the blood. I saw this." She stuck her shaking hand in her pocket and pulled out a piece of material. She reached for my arm and pulled it towards her, showing me how the material and my shirt matched, ripped the same too.

"I knew it was yours. But...they found us. We got taken back...and she tried killing me. My own mother. She only got my leg though."

"Did you..."

She looked up at me, with tears still brimming in her eyes. "Yes. I killed her. I don't know what came over me...but I grabbed the knife from her and just...stabbed."

She looked ahead and continued speaking as tears rolled down her cheeks. "I just kept stabbing and stabbing. Even when she was dead. I just...carried on."

Sophie looked down at her arms, squinting her eyes at them. "I keep seeing it. The blood. Her blood. It won't go away. Its on my arms and just won't come off. I...I didn't mean it, Glenn. She...she wasn't my mum. She was a different person on the inside."

She began panicking again, and I pulled her into my chest by the shoulders. "You're okay, now. We're here. I love you, Sophie, and we're all going to protect you. Protect each other."

"I'm scared, Glenn. I'm so scared."

I stroked her hair, squeezing her slightly. "You don't need to be scared. Now just get some sleep, okay? We can talk to Carl in the morning."

She nodded and hugged me, settling down and soon closing her eyes.

__________

A/n
Okay okay I know this isn't Carl, but *insert my username here* <truth, okay?

Anywaysss
Comment what you thought! And dw, bc next chapter will be a lot of Carphieness if that makes any fucking sense to you whatsoever.

Thanks for reading!
Only two weeks left off for summer for me *cries*