Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Sophie's POV

After a week, Rick, and the rest of the group who left for a run had returned. Lucky for me, Rick had been busy with other stuff for about two weeks after he got back, so didn't really have time to talk to me.

I spent the morning at Glenn and Maggie's, helping out look after Alex while they were still getting settled with Addie. I didn't have to go to school because it was Saturday...yes, they do it like normal, with weekends off.

"Soph, we've gotta go." I heard Carl speaking from the doorway. A rush of nerves hit me as I put AC down.

"Good luck." Maggie said with a smile.

"You'll be fine, Soph. You don't need to worry." Glenn said. "I'll come down in a bit." He said, with a half smile. I nodded and then we left.

"Glenn's right, you don't have to worry." Carl said, linking his fingers around mine as we walked towards the same office as the other week.

"I know...but I've disappointed him again." I said, looking at the floor.

"You'll be fine, Soph." He said, lookign down at me. "You know the drill. It's just gonna be 'why did you do it' and 'promise you won't do it again'. And then, that's it. All over."

After about five minutes of walking we reached the same office as last time. Before we went in, Carl turned to me and said: "Calm, okay?" I nodded.

Carl opened the door and let me walk in. Inside, was Rick, standing up and leaning against the table, and then I saw Zach, sitting on a chair.

"Great." He muttered when I walked in, and he recieved a glare from Rick. His left eye was a little puffy and bruised, but elsewhere, he was fine.

I ignored his comment and sat on the other chair, with Carl standing in between us.

"I had a word with Kate, and I'm sure you are both well aware of why you're here." Zach sat with his arms folded over his chest and his blonde hair swept over his bad eye. He rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, I do. Because she's out of her fucking mind an-"

"Shut up, Zach. We're trying to sort this out, not make it worse." Carl said, down to him and he rolled his eyes again.

"Well," Rick began, "I know when we had a talk last time, it didn't exactly end well. So I'm gonna make it short and sweet. Zach, I know that you said some downright hurtful things to Sophie, and that is unacceptable."

"He deserved it." I mumbled.

"Sophie, please keep your thoughts to yourself." Rick said.

I felt Carl put his hand on my shoulder. I looked up and he mouthed "Calm." to me.

Rick spent several minutes arguing with Zach about the things he said. Eventually, Zach said.

"Well, here's what you asked for. I'm sorry Sophie." He said, with his arms still folded. I stared at him, and then back to Rick, waiting for him to say something.

"But..." Zach started again. "You need to learn some more math. I reckon walkers know more than you."

I knew it was too good to be true. I looked at him, clenching my jaw. "Do you want another kick in the sack? Because that can be easily arranged." I said and he shifted in his chair, taking my word for it.

"Sophie, you're not helping. Listen, I know the things he said to you were hurtful, but I can assure you he won't say them again. If he does, there will be consequences." Rick said, raising his eyebrows towards Zach.

He began rambling on again about my 'irresponsible actions' could have been very dangerous.

"You do understand that if you kicked him harder, it could have taken a serious toll on his health." He said. I wasn't really listening, because my mouth began to feel tight.

I gripped onto the chair and began slowly breathing in and out. Carl tapped my shoulder and I looked at him. He whispered "Calm down." obviously thinking I was getting angry again. I looked up at him and shook my head, before breathing out loud again. He looked unsure, then a little panicked.

"I know you hate going to school, Sophie, but it will, in the long run, benifit you. When this is all over, you can-"

I cut him off "It's not gonna be over." That must have given him the wrong idea as he raised his eyebrows towards me and looked serious. My mouth tightened even more and my stomach ached. As he moaned at me, I closed my eyes.

I looked up at Carl again, with pain in my eyes. He quickly looked at Rick and shook his head, fast.

"Dad."

"Carl, wait." Rick said. I gagged silently.

"No, Dad, you have to st-"

Before he could finish his sentence, I shot up from the chair and ran out of the room. As I ran round the corner, my mouth opened and I threw up onto the floor. No one was there, apart from Glenn, who was on his way down. He came running towards me, and put a hand on my back.

Within seconds, I threw up again and Carl, Rick and Zach ran out and around the corner to where I was. Carl knelt next to me and pushed my hair behind my ears, holding it back.

I felt like I had finished, so I stood up and wiped my mouth with my sleeve. I looked at Carl. "I am, aren't I." I said, feeling tired. Carl looked round to his dad and nodded.

~***~***~

"You told him before, didn't you." I said to Carl, after dinner as we left the cafeteria.

"I'm sorry...we were speaking through the walkie talkie and I sort of just blurted it out." He said, looking guilty. I moved in front of him, stopping him from walking forward.

"You don't have to be sorry. I just...thought you'd tell me first." I said, with a half smile. He looked to the floor beside him.

"Carl, babe. What's up?" I said, rubbing his arm. He remained looking at the floor, and he bit his lip. I put my hands on his cheeks and turned his head so he was looking at me. "What's the matter?"

"I don't know...I just...don't want it to end like last time." He said, looking guilty still.

"And what makes you think that's gonna happen?" I replied.

"What if something happens to this place? To us? It always does, eventually."

"Carl, don't think like that. We're going to be fine. If there was something that would jeopradise this place, we would have seen signs by now." I said, making him smile a little.

I kissed his cheek. "I'm not saying it's going to be easy, but we'll make it work." I said, smiling.

I was confident with what I said, but he was right. Something always happens to us.