Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Sophie's POV

"Soph, hand me that flashlight." Glenn said from the ladder above me.
I bent down and pucked up the black flashlight, switching it on and passing it up.

"Thanks." He said, turning around to grab it. As he looked at me, he sort of...smirked. It was a 'I know something that you don't' smirk.

I gave him a funny look, but shrugged it off. "What can you see?" I said, holding onto the ladder.

"Well...the generator for the solar panels is off. That means they aren't broken...I think."

"So...we have electricity?"

"Poshbly." he murmered, sounding funny because he held the flashlight in his mouth.

"How're you two doing?" Rick said, coming down to the basement.

"Thersh a chanmph e-" Glenn started, until I climed up the ladder behind him and reached out my arm, pulling the flashlight out of his mouth.

He gave me a thank you nod and carried on. "There's a chance we have electricity. I noticed there were solar panels on the roof...which should mean that theres a...switch. Aha." He said, "Found it. Uh...Rick. Make sure that light switch is on over there." Rick made his way over the the light switch on the wall, flicking it up.

"Drum roll please." Glenn said, still facing the switch. I stifled a laugh at his childishness, but pulled a straight face as he gave me a serious glare.
"Drum. Roll."

I looked at Rick who shrugged with a smile on his face. Hesitantly, I began patting my legs, laughing as I realised how stupid I must have looked.

"You too, Rick." He said, making us both chuckle. Rick began to beat his fists repeatedly at the wall as I hit my legs.

"3...2...1..." Glenn flicked the switch.

Then, there was a flicker from the ceiling.
I stared at Glenn as he gave a chuckle of success. The light flickered again several more times before staying on. It was dim, but it was on.

"Give me five, Soph." He said, jumping down the ladder and putting his hand out. I hit it and smiled.

"I'm gonna go tell the others." Rick said, also smiling as he made his way out of the basement.

"

Breakfast." Glenn said, rubbing the side of his neck. I nodded and we left the basement together.

As we walked up the first flight of stairs in silence, I caught him staring at me with a smirk from the corner of my eye. I stopped and looked at him. He stopped too.

"What's with the smirks, Rhee?" I questioned, furrowing my eyebrows.

His expression changed, so he looked like he was stifling a laugh.
"Nothing." Glenn replied, unable to keep his eyes on mine.

"What do you know that I don't?" I said. He shrugged, rubbing his neck again. "Tell me." I pressed.

"No can do, Sophie. Now if you would like to hurry yourself up, my stomach is making impolite noises and I'd like to satisfy them with food."