Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Carl's POV

"See you on the other side."

"No no no no." I said, frantically pulling at my hair, as the video ended for the seventh time that evening.

Throughout the whole week I hadn't stopped listening to the tape. It was slowly making me mad- even I could tell- but I wouldn't stop. Not until I'd hear something, anything that'd tell me that she's alive.

Sophie's smart. Smarter than...anyone here. Not stupid at all. She isn't stupid enough to kill herself...not when she has a family.

We were in a fenced in back yard of an abandoned house. Everyone was asleep on the overgrown grass, apart from me. I was leaned up against a wall, scribbling notes onto a piece of paper that I found in the house.

"Fuck, Sophie." I said, rubbing my sore eyes.

"Carl." Someone muttered. I looked over towards the campfire which burned my eyes. "Go to sleep." Said Dad, sitting up.

"No." I replied, playing the video again.

He sighed. "You need to sleep. We're gonna have to move in the morning."

Focusing on the video I muttered "I'm not moving until I understand this."

He layed back down, too tired to argue, and I watched the video for the eighth time.

Sophie's POV

I woke up, hearing several knocks on the door of my bedroom.

I both liked my so called bedroom and hated it at the same time. It was clean, bright, and had the comfiest bed I had ever slept on, but wasn't homely. It was a girly pink, A colour I've always hated, and it was so...lonely.

My mum would lock my door every night. It's not even like I could escape...but she still locked me inside.
I had a bathroom next to my bedroom, with a huge closet, full of clothes.

She was right. They had things I hadnt seen since before. DVD players, iPods, electronic games...it was almost heaven.

Although, it wasn't. Because I wasn't with the people that would make it heaven.

Mum told me that today was going to be a special day...I didn't have a clue as to what she meant.

"Come on, Sophie. Take a shower and put something simple on. We've got to get you ready." She said, excitedly.

I tried not to show any signs of disgust and wanting to escape when I was around her...in fear that she might...do something back.

I got out of bed and walked into the bathroom, grabbing a towel off of the rail outside.

I locked the door and chucked my pj's into a laundry basket. Then I turned on the faucet and let the water heat up.

Once the water was warm enough, I got in and closed the shower doors. I washed my hair and body before switching off the taps and stepping out of the shower.

I grabbed the towel and wrapped it around me, using a smaller towel around my hair.

I walked in front of the steamed up mirror and wiped it.
I sighed to myself when I saw my appearance.

I had given up hope. It had been a week and there was no sign of anyone. Not Carl, not Glenn, not anyone. They got the video...I had to take it there, but no one must have got my message. It wasn't obvious enough, and for that I hate myself.

No one's coming, Soph. I recited to myself every day.

I unlocked the door and opened it, walking straight into my mum. She made me jump.