Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Sophie's POV

We ran into the building, following Kate, towards the screaming. Soon we realised what was going on. Glenn ran ahead, as fast as he could. "MAGGIE, BABY I'M COMING." He yelled, as he ran up the escalators and into their store.

I got up to their store and lingered by the door, unsure of whether I was wanted there or not. Maggie clutched her stomach, surrounded by a small puddle of water.

"Sophie, take Alex please." Glenn said as he knelt next to Maggie who was leaning against the checkout counter, panting. I nodded and took Alex off of the floor. He looked scared and was watching wide eyed and quietly, gripping tightly to my hair as Glenn rubbed Maggie's back.

"Too...early...It's...too early." Maggie cried as she tried to control her breathing. Although he looked panicked, Glenn tried to act calm.

"Don't worry, It'll be fine. you'll be fine, Maggs." He said, pulling her hair back. Kate ran back in, holding some clean white towels. Alex was getting flustered and began crying in my arms.

I walked calmly out of the store and stood outside. I began rocking him around. His tears eventually stopped and he snuggled into my shoulder, quivering his bottom lip.

He pointed towards where Maggie was screaming and opened his mouth. "mom-mom-mom" he gurgled and then looked at me with fear in his eyes.

"Shh AC, Mummy's gonna be okay. So is your little brother or sister." I said, and he snuggled back into my shoulder. Carl ran up behind me and put his hand on my other shoulder.

"Let me take him, you better go help in there." He said, putting his arms out towards Alex. "Alex, you stay with Carl, okay? I'll be back in a bit." I said, passing AC over to Carl and smiling quickly. Then I ran back in.

I saw Maggie, now lying on the floor, with Glenn holding her hand- much like it was one and a half years ago. Kate was sitting nearby, keeping an eye on Maggie's dilation and time beetween each contraction.

"Glenn...It's...not ready...I'm not...ready." Maggie panted, looking half terrified, half exhausted.

"No, no Maggie, don't say that." Glenn started.

"It has to be ready, it's pushing its way out now. And you'll be amazing, just as you always are." I said, kneeling next to her.

"Okay, Maggie. Are you ready to push?" Kate said, looking at her and Glenn.

"N...no, but...if I have to." She struggled, before letting out a scream.

"PUSH, NOW." Kate said and Maggie let out a load of puffy breaths and screams.

"That's it Maggie, you're almost there." I said, smiling.

Within seconds, I could hear a large sigh of relief from Maggie and then the high pitched screaming of a newborn baby.

"It's a little girl." Glenn said, holding his new daughter in his arms, wrapped in a towel. He held her down to Maggie, who reached out and then held her. "She's perfect." Maggie said, looking at her, then up to Glenn. "She's tiny, but I know she's going to be just fine." Glenn said, stroking the head of his daughter.

"Let's stop calling her 'her' and 'she'. How about...Addie?" Maggie said, as she gripped her finger. Glenn looked at her. "Addie. I like it." He said, and kissed her cheek.

"I love you." He said and she kissed him. Carl walked in, holding Alex and put him down, next to Glenn. "Look, kiddo. It's your baby sister." Glenn said, sitting him on his lap. Kate walked up to me and put her hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you." She said and smiled a little. Then she was silent for a while, still crouching infront of me. "I'm sorry, sweetie, but I have to tell Rick what you did to my son." I looked to the floor and nodded. "But I'm not the sort of person to dwell on it. Just as long as you promise to never do it again." I looked back up at her.

"Thanks." I smiled and she stood up, before walking out of the store.

***

"I'm not looking forward to that." I said, as I lay next to Carl in bed that night. "Neither am I." He replied with a chuckle and I hit him, playfully.

"You'll..." I started. He turned to me,

"I'll what?"

"Oh nothing. It's stupid." I said, looking away.

"Tell me." he said, pleadingly.

"You'll still love me...when I'm fat, right?" I said, looking at him. Carl stifled a laugh.

"Don't be ridiculous, Soph. Of course I will. And anyway...you won't be fat. You're carrying my kid- who I love just as much as his or her's mom." He started moving his fingers, drawing lines up and down my arm.

"In school...before all this..." I started. Carl turned around, so he was laying on his side. "I was that fat kid. The one who was always picked on. And my height didn't help, either. I don't know what happened." I laughed to myself.

"I had friends, but I was jealous, because I knew that they'd grow up to be so much prettier than me. It's funny because...well...God knows if they're alive now." I said, staring at the ceiling.

"I hope you're not calling yourself ugly." Carl said, turning my head. He sounded and looked dead serious. I shrugged my shoulders. "Well, I'm telling you now, you are the most beautiful thing I've set my eyes upon in my whole life." The seriousness was awkward.

"Thing?" I said, laughing. He rolled his eyes and smiled. "Who cares what you...or I...was like in the past. What matters is what we are now." He said. "All I know is that I was down right annoying."

"Uhmmm...well..." I said, jokingly and he hit me in the face with a pillow.

"Thank you." He said, playing with my hair.

"What for?" I said.

"Coming into my house and stealing bread." He said, and I laughed. "You know, at first, I hated the living fuck out of you." He said, looking into my eyes. We both laughed. "Same can be said, here." I said.

"And now." He began. "We're having a baby...or so we think we are having a baby. And...I...now, I love the living fuck out of you." He said.

"You're so damn cheesy." I said, smiling.

"But, I love you too. Hey. When your dad gets back...You're gonna back me up, right?" I said.

"Of course." He said with a smile. "I don't know about you, but I wanna sleep now. Night, Soph."

"Night, Carl."