Chapter 23

Sophie's POV

"Hey, Sophie...uh have you seen Mary?" Zach asked, walking past me as I walked around carrying Finn.

"No...I haven't seen her since yesterday. Sorry." I said, as Finn tangled her tiny fingers in my hair.

"Well...let me know if you see her, yeah?"

"Sure." I said as he began walking off.

"Oh, and Soph-" he called, making my spin around. "Um...how's things?" He asked, awkwardly.

"Good I guess. Just...tired. I mean her sleeping is getting better, but...I just can't get to sleep at night. Apart from that, though, everything's fine."

He smiled and nodded, looking to the floor. "Well...don't forget about Mary." He said, walking off.

"Ow. Finn, stop it." I said as she yanked on my hair. She looked at me with a pout before resting her head on my shoulder, putting her thumb in her mouth.

For her age, I thought Finola was quite intelligent ; she could point at things if we said them, and expressed emotions at relevant times. Pretty advanced for a six month old kid.

I walked down the dead escalators and outside one of the exits into the plane park. Carl was on watch, standing by a fence with a crowbar in his holster and a shotgun in his arms.

"Hey, baby." He said, kissing my cheek before sticking his tongue out at Finn. "I'll be done here in about ten minutes."

"Okey dokes." I said. "Actually...is there any chance you could finish now and hold onto Finn? I need to go and find Mary."

"Uh...I guess so. But I'm gonna have to stay around here for a bit." I nodded, passing Finn over to him as he rested the shotgun against the fence.

"Thank you. I'll try not to be too long. Oh, and she's due lunch at about one. The food's in our store, first shelf as you enter." I said, walking away, backwards.

"Soph. I know where the food is. You go." He said, stifling a laugh.

"Bye, baby!" I said, blowing a kiss to Finn. She replied with a smile. "Bye." Carl called back.

"I was talking to Finn, you twat." I said with a laugh.

"Totally knew that!" He called as I walked away.

***

"Come on then if you want to help me." Glenn said, chucking me a hand gun. I was going to go on fence patrol with him for a while whilst Carl looked after Finn.

"Okay. So, side gate?"

"Yes. Let's go."

As we were walking, I started some more conversation.

"So where are Maggie and the kids?"

"Rick's got the kids and Maggie went to the woods. Apparently she dropped something on the way back from the run the other day." I nodded in reply.

"Soph, you better still be a good shot." He said, joking a strict tone.

"Once you can shoot, there's no going back. However long it's been. It's kind of like holding a gun regenerates your shooting knowledge."

"Why...do you have to sound so...poetic all the time?" He said, looking down at me, slightly confused.

"It's just the w-"

"Have you seen her yet?" Zach said, running over to us.

"uh no...sorry. where was she last?"

"I...Just don't know."