Chapter 21

Chapter 21
(A/n dedicated to Maxhamtay bc she is bae)

Sophie's POV

"Sophie, please don't g-"

"Leave me alone. I'm fine, okay!" I said, walking away from Maggie. Truth is I wasn't fine.

Feeling like I sounded mean, I turned and sighed. "I'm going out for a bit. I haven't been out since Finn was born- that's two weeks. I need to go outside. Please, just...just let me."

She slowly nodded sympathetically. "Oh and..." I said "...tell Carl I'm not going alone."

"Soph, I can't lie."

"Please. For my sake." She hesitated for a short while before nodding.

"Just don't be too long."

I left the store with tears brimming in my eyes. I was already sad enough... but for Maggie to tell me that my baby...well...

"Sophie...can I talk to you?" Maggie said, walking into my store as I sat alone. Carl had taken Finola outside.

"If it's about Glenn then no."

"It's not."

I turned around and walked over to her. We both sat up onto the counter and she looked at me with a sympathetic smile.

"Well...the other twin...the one that..."

"Died." I said,coldly.

Maggie turned to me,looking sorry again.

"I...don't want you thinking that it's your fault. And I've figured out why it happened."

I folded my arms and leaned forwards a little, making an attempt to look interested.

"Well. In the womb, while the babies were growing, they didn't have their desired space. That means... well..."

"Go on." I said, more concerned.

"You could say they were fighting for survival. Just like you were." I raised an eyebrow.

"You're a small girl, Soph, so that means they needed to get the room to grow. Also, they didn't really have a feast going on in there." She said, making me think back to those months where I didn't eat much because of Carl.

"So...it is my faul-"

"No! Sophie, It is anything but your fault. They just couldn't both survive together. You have to understand that. Finola was just...the dominant twin. She must have gotten most of the food."

I could feel tears begin to form in my eyes. I began to walk out of my store.

"Sophie, please don't g-"

***

I sat outside in the fire damaged hut in the middle of the woods. My eyes felt sore and puffy, and my throat was aching.

I had no weapon- just myself, and my tears. I wanted to stop crying, but I couldn't. My head was just a crazy mix of emotions and I didn't know what to do with myself.

I sat, staring at my nails, picking at them, and trying to process all of my thoughts which buzzed around in my head.

After several minutes, I heard the shuffling and deep groans of a walker coming from in front of me. I carried on picking at my nails, not paying attention to the walker that was slowly approaching the hut.

I eventually looked up as it stopped outside the edge of the half burned wooden shack and saw that the walker had stopped, and was looking in my direction. "Come on then." I said quietly, through gritted teeth.

"Hey. You. I'm right here! Fresh meat. What are you waiting for?"I shouted, getting pretty loud. It slowly began shuffling forwards towards me, as I stood up.

"HURRY UP. LET'S GET THIS OVER WITH, BITCH!" I yelled. This only attracted more walkers which made their way towards me.

"Oh yes. That's it! MORE OF YOU TO JOIN THE PARTY! COME ON LET'S GET THIS SHIT STARTED."
I yelled, putting my arms out to my side, beckoning them closer.

This is when my cockiness got the better of me.

I began to roll my shirt sleeves up, letting my hair loose. I smirked to myself. I had been waiting for some serious walker ass stomping for months, and now was the time...or so I thought.

I began to walk closer to the herd of about seven walkers. When i was just feet away from the closest, I reached for my knife in my holster. Except...the holster wasn't there. Neither was the knife.

The smirk immediately disappeared off of my face, and turned into a trembling gulp.

I tried to run out of the half-shack and around the side, but there were already more walkers beginning to surround me. Not too many, although it was too narrow to escape, and I guess any amount of walkers if dangerous when you are unarmed.

I slowly took steps back through the fallen leaves, until I lost my footing, stepping back onto the uneven wooden floor of the burned out hut. I fell on my bum, and immediately began crawling backwards on my elbows as quickly as I could.

"I didn't mean it. GO AWAY!" I screamed towards them, only making them move faster towards me. I kept crawling back until I hit my head on the wall.

Fuck I thought. I am actually going to die.

For the first time in a long time I actually felt scared. I closed my eyes and bit my bottom lip hard as they got closer and closer. I stood up quickly and tried pushing them away as I began to cry, panicked.

It worked for a couple of them, but they only scrambled across the floor back closer to me.

I stared in horror as one walker came almost face to face with me. I cried silently as it pushed me against the wall.

It's teeth snapped above my neck, but it stopped and slumped on top of me as a sharp knife blade went through it's head, fixing it's now completely dead body against the wall.

I stared up, still in shocked as the walkers began dropping one by one. When they stopped, I saw Glenn, holding a machete in one hand and a hand gun in the other.

As the last walker dropped to the floor, he ran over to me and pulled my limp body into his.

"What the hell are you playing at? You could've gotten yourself killed.".he said.

I didn't reply, although I began sobbing into his shoulder.

"Shhhhshh, don't cry, Soph. I'm here. Nothing's gonna hurt you." He said, rocking me gently.

"It's Finn's fault." I cried quietly.

He pushed me up by the shoulders and wiped my eyes with his thumb.
"What are you talking about?"

"M...Maggie said she...she wa...s the dom...dominant twin."

"No, Soph. It isn't her fault... or yours. You can't blame anyone. If you're looking for someone to blame, make sure it's me. You know what I did...and I can't ever..."

I looked up at him as he faded out of speech.

"I'm sorry." I said, looking at him. "I shouldn't have yelled at you. It was horrible of me...I-"

He smiled a little before pulling me in for another hug.

"Don't be sorry. I know what I did and I'm not proud of it."

He stroked my hair, before pulling me up with him. "We need to go back. Clean ourselves up".

"Okay." I said, quietly.