Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Sophie's POV

My pillow was tear stained and so was my face when I woke up the next morning- alone.

I turned to wake up Carl, but he wasn't there, of course. I knew it. I knew something had to go wrong and mess everything up while we were doing so well before.

My eyes stung and as I looked in the top of the glass counter at my reflection, I could see that they were red. Basically I looked stoned.

I grabbed a towel and my toothbrush and headed to the showers. Life doesn't stop just because something goes wrong. You have to carry on.

I locked myself in the cubicle and turned on the shower. After letting it heat up for a second, I stood under the warm water and let it dribble down my body. It drenched my hair and went into my eyes, but I was past caring.

Then I zoned out for a while.

I heard knocking on the cubicle door and came out of my little trance. I turned the faucet off and quickly wrapped my towel around me.

The knocking continued. "Sophie...hey, Soph, is that you in there?" I heard the voice say. It was Mary.

"Um...yeah." I cleared my throat.

"Mom asked if you were coming to school today. She was a little concerned. It's half eleven."

"What?" I said, shocked. i had been in the shower since about nine o'clock. Crap.

"Uh...no...I don't-"

"I know. You don't have to talk about it." Mary cut me off. "I heard Rick talking in the cafeteria this morning." I let out a sigh as I put my clean clothes on.

I opened the door, holding my dirty clothes and damp towel. Mary was still standing there. "Are you okay?" she said with a sympathetic smile. I shook my head.

"Awhh, Sophie...don't cry. I hate seeing you upset." She said as a tear strayed from my eye. She took a step forward and engulfed me in a hug, squeezing me gently. "He'll remember." she said. I looked her in the eyes.

"And what if he doesn't?" I questionned.

"Then, we help him to remember. We rebuild what you had, and make it better. Okay?" She said, with a soft voice but confident smile. "I better head back, Soph." she said and I nodded. "You take it easy. You hear me?" she said.

"Yes mum." I replied and we laughed a little. She hugged me again and then walked out of the bathroom and back to the book store.

I went to the cafeteria to get something to eat. When I got there, I saw Judith, sitting alone, looking sad. I grabbed an apple and an oat bar and sat opposite her.

"Hey, Judy. How are you?" I asked, bluntly.

"Not good." she said with a sigh. I gave her a look, asking for her to tell me more.

"We all know what happened to Carl...He doesn't believe that I'm me. He says 'Judith was still a baby. She was only a couple of months old.' I'm not. I'm six, now, and I want him to remember. I want my big brother back, Sophie, and I know you want your boyfriend back." She said, sniffling.

"I know." I said, close to a whisper. I didn't want to get her hopes up. "He'll come back. He'll remember everything. I don't know when, or how, but he will." I said, forcing a smile.

"He better." Judith said, sounding determined. "The baby won't have a daddy if he doesn't." she said, with a half smile, showing some sympathy.

"Who told you?" I asked, calmly.