Chapter 1

"Miss Pierce?"

Katherine's head perked up when she heard the soft voice of Sanders. He was recently turned and she found him to be extremely useful.

Katherine had messed around with him as a human, unaware he developed strong feelings for her. She turned him a few months ago on accident when she took a little too much blood from him. The sire bond was discovered not long after, something Katherine used to her advantage ever since.

"What is it Sanders?"

"I have news, Miss Pierce."

Katherine closed the book she was reading and turned to face the fledgling vampire. Sanders' dark brown eyes, per usual, held an aloof look while a small grin flickered on his face.

"The look on your face makes me think it's good news. Tell me you have good news for me."

"I have good news for you, Miss Pierce."

Katherine mimicked Sanders' grin with her own. She stood up from the couch, not breaking eye contact with Sanders as she did. Her heels made soft clicking noises on the hardwood floor as she moseyed towards the vampire.

She heard Sanders' heart speed up when she placed a manicured hand on his shoulder, slowly tracing his abs through his shirt as she trailed her hand down his chest.

"Tell me the good news."

"I think I found leverage on Klaus Mikaelson."

Katherine's lazy grin fell from her face. Her upturned lips fell into a tight line; her eyes narrowed at the vampire, who still maintained his grin. Her hand gripped a fistful of Sander's shirt as she yanked him close to her.

"Don't play with me Sanders. What do you mean you think you found leverage on Klaus." She hissed.

"Do remember Klaus's painting of the beautiful woman you told me about?"

Katherine paused as she gently released her grip on Sanders' shirt.

When he was still human, Katherine had taken Sanders to an art museum. She didn't know why she did it, but human Sanders had been so happy and Katherine remembered having a good meal out of some of the tourists.

Katherine hated art and she hated being in the museum.

She remembered Sanders asking her why she hated art, and Katherine was able to be frank with him since he had still been under compulsion.

***

"Why do you hate art, Miss Pierce?" Sanders asked, pushing his thin glasses up his nose as his big brown eyes bore into hers.

Katherine sighed and looked straight ahead at the people passing them in the park. The two were seated on a bench, Sanders with a mint chocolate chip icecream in hand and her with a vanilla one.

"Because I do, now stop talking."

Katherine felt bad when she saw Sanders cast his eyes downwards, a small frown forming on his lips. Katherine felt slight remorse for shutting him down. He had been so passionate when explaining to her some of his favorite pieces in the museum and she had been so apathetic towards him and his interests.

Katherine turned her head before letting out a sigh and taking a bite of her icecream. "I hate art because my enemy cherishes it."

Sanders took another lick of his icecream before turning to look at Katherine, who's eyes were still downcast and staring straight down at her icecream.

"Before he tried to kill me, my enemy showed me some of his art. When he was still trying to win me over and court me before the sacrifice, he brought me to his art room to show me some of his paintings."