A small conversation

We sat there quietly and ate our food. I didn't want to start a conversation with him anyway. Nor would I want to start a conversation with anyone at all.

I finished up and got up throw away my food. I came back and sat down. Madeline was drumming his fingers on the tree roots quietly humming. I guess I don't really mind too much.

I brought my bag and began reading. I took a glance from my book to see Latte whispering is Raspberry's ear, looking towards us. I wanted to flip her off so bad but I didn't. Instead I just rolled my eyes.

It is a pretty nice day as well. Though as much as I'd like to stay out here, we had to go back inside. The bell rang. I sighed and grabbed my bag before heading inside.

I could hear Madeline quietly groan. I wonder why. Maybe because of school? Eh it's not my concern.

He walked over to his friends acting like he wasn't annoyed. Is he annoyed because of his friends? Whatever I don't care about his social life!

I walked over to Latte who was smiling. "Since when did you talk to Madeline?" She smiled as we walked inside.

"I don't. I just let him sit there. Only for today though, I'd prefer to eat alone than with him." Latte looked at me disappointed after I said so. I don't care though, I never liked Madeline in the first place.

So now we're in social studies, great. I hate social studies. It's the most boring subject in the world not to mention this teacher's voice is so bland and sad. He's been working here for too long I can tell.

Though as much as Social studies is the easiest subject, I still hate it. I'd prefer a challenge and not be given the answers like we're in kindergarten.

I had Latte in this class though, it was the only class I had her in. She secretly passed me a not while the teacher's back was turned.

Ahh this is soooo boorrrinngggg!! I'm also super mad that we have some stupid book report due by the end of this month!

Oh I completely forgot about that book report. Isn't that annoying? I'm okay with book reports only if they aren't literally assigned in the first day. What did I expect anyway? It's my second year of high school the ELA teachers always assign the most homework or projects. Same thing with math.

I wrote back to her.

Yeah it is pretty annoying. Plus this teacher's voice has to be the most depressing thing I've ever heard. Someone's been working here for so long they've been mentally drained.

I could see her snicker. Though the teacher looked back and she immediately pulled a straight face. She's always been the best at changing emotions.

So she's gotten me in trouble various times with her emotions when we were younger like a demon child. Anyway no one cares about Latte.

I'm joking.

After what felt like hours, finally we could get away from this boring ads teacher and to whoever teaches Science.

I sat down at one of the desks and waited for whatever he was going to start. I also had Madeline in this class, which alternately sucks of course. Though it's only in the morning and afternoon. I guess I could live with it. Maybe.

I guess it was pretty bad with Madeline last year. Most of the teachers knew that we didn't like each other so they'd always pare us up and everything so it was the worst.

Though I think that this year the teachers are oblivious. Hopefully they are because working in a project with Madeline is the worst. From what I remember he always got side tracked and always went out with his stupid friends.

But he got his part of the project done surprisingly. I'm sure he got someone else to do it for him or something. Whatever, at least he didn't get humiliated just like that one kid.

I'm not going to hold back as much as my emotions as I did last year though. They all think I keep to myself and I'm just an easy target. Though it's not true. I could be the coldest person they'll ever meet.

I'm sure that Madeline knows that well. I don't really keep most of my emotions from him. He seems okay with it since he still try's to be friends. Right?

I mean- he's always cheerful and happy y'know? What if there's something I'm missing..I'm sure I'm just over thinking it.

Oh I haven't even been paying attention that whole time. Oh it's just review from last year of course. Why wouldn't be? I'm sure all the teachers have given up trying over and over to educate us.

Now the period's over, and we have the last period for makeup work. They call it "smart goals" which is such a shit name since no one does anything smart in that class. I had already picked up a book for that report so the next thing I'll have to do is read of course.

Though as I was just minding my business, I felt the same small taps from lunch. I sighed and looked over at Madeline.

"Hm? What is it now?" Though before I could act annoyed he handed me a folded piece of paper and walked off. Weird..

I opened the paper to see it was a note.

Hey so I have a question, could we talk at the town center park later? I mean it's fine if you don't want to and things but it'd be nice if I could just tell you something.

Hm how odd. I don't really want to go but my curiosity is killing me! Later when I was about walk home, I saw Madeline as well. I ran over to him.

"What time?" Fine I'll go.

He looked surprised that I was going to actually go. "Like 7:00 maybe?"

That's rather late, but the park won't be filled at the time so it makes sense. I nodded and walked off to where Latte was just walking out.

"Well bye! Hi Espresso!" She waved to me and we started to walk home. I'll have to keep this a secret from her.

Time skip
———————

Okay so it's almost 7, which means I'm going to get going. I knew that of Latte saw I was gone then she'd bug me all about it.

I walked it to her room. "Hey I'm going to take a quick walk. I'll be right back." She nodded and I walked out the door.

I walked in the cold breeze. Not cold enough to make you want to back inside, but just enough to make you shiver.

I walked over to the park that was completely empty since it was getting dark. Madeline was sitting on one of the swings looking at the view. He wasn't facing towards me when I got there.

His hair fluttered in the Autumn winds being illuminated by the little light given by the sunset.

I tapped his shoulder in which he jumped a little bit. He was relieved to see me. I took a seat on the swing next to him.

"What'd you want to talk about?" I asked looking in the direction he was.

"I wanted to know if you've been doing you know..alright. You don't talk to many and I don't know..you just seems to get worse by the year." He looked towards me.

"I'm fine. What do you mean by I get worse by the year?" I glared at him.

"No not like that..you still look fine. Though sometimes I took a glance at you and you eye bags look even worse." He seems a bit embarrassed saying this.

I look away from him. Just like my sister. I don't care if my eye bags look bad certain days. They just don't seem to go away.

I wish they did. Everyone points them out saying that I should get more sleep and it's super annoying.. I know I should.

It's one of my biggest insecurities too. So if people would just leave it then maybe I would get better sleep instead of thinking about everything I hate about myself.

"Well I have a fine sleep schedule. It's not like it's any of your business!" I rolled my eyes at him.

"I'm just worried for you-"

"I don't care!" I got up and walked off.