CHAPTER EIGHT

TOBIAS POV:

Evelyn walks to me.

"There's a bigger world outside the fence isn't there." I give a stern look at her.

"Yes, yes there is Tobias." She struggles to release the truth.

"Tell me more Evelyn," I roll my eyes at her. "more about whats outside."

"Tobias I don't think you'd understa-"
"No excuses Evelyn." I try to refrain from being too rough on her but thats partially impossible.

"We're in Chicago, I'm pretty sure you already know that, but there's just more than Chicago. There's Michigan, Detroit and many more. Those are just a few. If you combine all of them, you form a Country, then a Continent, then a world." She takes in a deep breath. "The people outside the fence aren't safe. Especially in the other cities."

"Am I your only child?" I've been holding this question back for years.

Evelyn takes a moment before she can answer me. She breathes another deep breath. "Tobias, you're not the only one."

I gaze at her. "Are you serious? Or is this another lie of yours to keep me away from the outside. I can handle myself Evelyn. I'm not a child anymore."

"But you're my child! And no, I am not lying." She shouts at me. "Her name in Meredith. I guess she's thirteen by now. She lives in Detroit with a friend of mine."

"Tobias!" I hear Tris' voice.

I run with her outside.

And the war begins.