CHAPTER TWENTYONE

Tobias

Tris is gone.

I try to hold back my tears.

I walk to Meredith.

"Is there a chance that Tris is alive?" I ask, I feel like my eyes are bloodshot.

"Tobias, to be honest, I don't know." She places her hand on my shoulder. I shift, I don't like to be comforted.

"Can you guys try to keep her breathing or something! Can you do what you guys do? Call the freaking scientists! Do something! Don't just leave her like this!" I scream furiously.

"Okay, okay. Tobias, we'll try. But I can't really guarantee it."

I nod. "Thanks. Sorry for shouting."

"It's alright." She responds.

I stare at her. She's short. Thin. Strong. Stern. Serious.

Everything like Tris. But she isn't Tris.

She reminds me of her.

And she's the only family I have left. Evelyn and Marcus died in the attack yesterday.

I start walking to the room Tris and I shared. Tears forcing its way down my cheek.

I sit on the couch, bringing my head down to my hands. This time, I don't stop the tears from falling out of my eyes.

She promised she wouldn't die, but I promised to protect her. I've failed once again.

All the memories I had with her are suddenly coming back to me.

I can't handle the fact thats she's gone. She has to live. She has to. I decide to go visit her body.

I don't care if I'm seen sobbing anymore, it doesn't matter.

+++

Her body's lying on a bed in a hospital room. She's being surrounded by tons of doctors and nurses. The heart monitor starts beeping. Is she alive? Or is a machine breathing for her. This all reminds me of Uriah.

I feel so shameful.

One of the doctors face the window and sees me.

It's Meredith, she nods.

"Is she alive?" I mouth to her.

Instead of telling me. She walks out the door to tell me.

Her grin turns to a frown. "It's just the machine breathing, but lets see if her heart will start pumping for her."

"Yeah," I sigh. "I can wait."