Unexpected Visits and Questions

*Picture is of Ava's dad*

It had been two weeks since their little encounter, and Opie nor Ava had spoken to one another, but that could have something to do with the fact that Opie was with Jax on club business. Ava’s dad had taken a little bit of a downfall earlier in the week, so that’s where Ava was at the moment; in the hospital with her dad. That is exactly where Opie and the rest of the guys found her with her head in her hands in the waiting room.

“Darlin’, what happened? We just got back in town,”Jax says as Opie sits beside Ava and puts his arm on her shoulder.

As Ava falls into his touch, she says, “He and I were out walking earlier this week, and he just sort of fell to the ground.”

“Well what are they saying?” Clay speaks up, worried about his friend.

“They aren’t entirely sure what caused it. They are back running more tests now. I knew he was gonna decline, I just didn’t expect it to be this quick,” Ava says tearing up and snuggling more into Opie’s arms. She felt so safe there and comforted.

“Hey now,” Opie soothed her, “he’s tough as hell. I’m sure this is just a little setback.”

At that moment, Ava’s mom walked in the room with someone Ava sure as hell didn’t think she’d see again.

“What are you doing here?” Ava asked standing from her chair. Opie stands behind her wondering who in the hell this girl was.

“Well, nice to see you too, cousin,” Courtney responds laughing.

Ava smiles and embraces her in a hug. “I didn’t mean to sound that way. It’s just, you’re the last person I expected to see here Ms. Hot shot lawyer.

“Well Ms. Hot shot teacher, I could say the same about you. I took some time off. I’m actually looking for some space to rent an office building down here. Ya know, be close to the only family I have left,” Courtney reveals, “it’ll be a lot different than the New York living, but I think it’ll do me some good.”

“Aren’t you going to introduce us to your friend, cousin, or whatever?” Juice of all people speaks up.

Ava, giving Juice a look, introduces her to every one of the guys that were present.

As they were all standing there talking: Courtney and Juice more so than anybody, the doctor came out.

“The family of Charles Montgomery?”

“That’s us,” Ava’s mom says as she stands there holding Courtney’s and Ava’s hands in her own, “how is he?”

The doctor sighs. “I’m not going to lie, it doesn’t look good, but it’s not the worse either. The cancer, which started in his chest, has began to move its way up to his lymph nodes.”

Ava, getting frustrated at the doctor’s vague way of talking says, “What exactly do we do about that?”

“With him refusing treatment, there is nothing we can do, but prescribe him medicine to help with the pain,” the doctor says,” The fainting spell he had was just part of the disease. He can still walk as of right now, but it will progress. I’m sorry. Call if you have any questions. You ladies have a nice day.”

Ava kissed her mom on the cheek and ran outside with Opie trailing behind her. She stopped just outside the doors.

“This is all just not fair. There are murderers and rapists out here living healthy, and my dad, one of the best men in the world, is just waiting to die. Tell me, Ope, why the fuck did this happen?” She asks.

Opie, obviously not having an answer to that question, grabs her hands and makes her look up at him. “Life is shitty sometimes, Avey. We both know that.”

Ava’s laugh caught him by surprise. “You should be a life coach, Ope,” she says giving him a hug. They released each other, and Ava just looked into his eyes: the same ones she had fallen in love with nine years ago.

Before either of them knew it, Ava kissed him, strong and passionately. It took Opie no time to respond with a kiss just as fierce, wrapping his arms around her waist as hers went around his neck.

They stayed like that for a few minutes before they broke apart for air. “We should probably get you back inside,” Opie states out of breath, but Ava sensed he had something else to say.

“Ope, do you need to tell me something?” She asks.

Opie pulled back from the kiss and grabbed her hands again. “Well, I had something to ask you, but then all this shit happened. I don’t wanna put anything else on you.”

“Just ask me, Ope. I’m okay, I promise I can handle it,” She assures him.

“Well, I was just going to ask if you, maybe, wanted to let me take you out tonight,” he nervously says.

Ava, resting her head on his chest asks, “Opie Winston, are you asking me on a date?”

“Yeah, I guess I am,” he says, but is confused as she backs away from him and starts to walk inside.

Just as she is about to go through the doors, she turns to him. “I’ll see you at eight then?” She says laughing.

Opie nods and smiles at her as he begins to head back inside.