18

Running to you

Dave

"Jessica? Have you seen the time?" I asked finding a very exhausted Jessica at my doorstep, it was 1:30 in the morning and yes normal people were sleeping.

Normal people is me.

"How did you get past? You know what, nevermind. what do want?" I asked hesitantly letting her in as a memory of what happened the last time she was here flashed through my eyes.

God this had better be good.

"if you're here about the custody thing, I am meeting my lawyer tomorrow and...."

"I'm not here for that Dave" she said letting out a breath of exhaustion and I looked at her waiting for her to speak.

"Here." She handed me her phone playing me a recording.

"I don't understand, why am I listening to this?"

"I didn't know what to do, I sat in my office all night trying to think of what to do with this information but I was blank, you're the only person I could think of, you're the only person I thought would be able to help." She whispered the last part

"Well can't we do this tomorrow? It's very late Jessica and...."

"Please don't turn me away please, I.... I..... I don't know
okay, I just" she sighed falling to her knees looking at me with pleading eyes.

"Please!" She all but whispered.

I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration.

This is going to be a long night, actually morning seeing as how it was 1 am and all, whatever you get the idea.

"Would you like something to eat?" I asked holding my hand out for her so she could get off the floor, she looked at me with a broken look in her eyes, tears  threatening to fall as she tried her best to blink them back and desperately accepted my offer.

Fuck Jessica I really hate seeing you like this. she literally looked like a lamb to the slaughter house, that had no choice but to accept it's fate, and usually seeing her in this state would amuse and entertain me, but after all that information I acquired about her I can't help but wonder how many times this woman had to be strong.

I offered her a seat on the kitchen counter putting a pot of instant noodles on the stove.

Hey it was the only food that would cook faster at that moment,
okay don't judge me.

I went upstairs to put a shirt on and once again played the recording while we sipped on some coffee to help us keep awake.

"Aren't you afraid that I will betray you?" I asked putting her phone down on the kitchen counter and she slowly reached for it.
"I mean we hate each other. I am failing to understand how you came to me, of all people," I mean we are not exactly the best of friends, I am literally the guy threatening to take her son away, where was that Mark?

"I don't hate you Dave, we just have a lot of unresolved issues, and you wouldn't be that petty, well you are petty but even that would be beneath you." She said lowering her head and the room went silent.