17

Miracle

Jessica

I was in my office fixing my make up, trying hard to hide the bags under my eyes. I looked at the time and noticed that I had only five minutes before the meeting with the board members.

I sure hope they don't pull out, I mean I know that there was a time when this place was solely owned with no partners and shit, but in order to help it grow and prevent it from falling apart  since people thought that now that after  Antonio's passing the company won't be so great, that his legacy would die with him. I got investors and made some developments.

And Today I was afraid that everything would come crushing down, I mean how does one stay invested in a company where the designs are being poached??

"They are ready for you." Darcy said sticking her head through my office door.

I took a deep breath in and walked into the room filled with different types of burning gazes, I tried to calm their worries down and told them how I plan on handling the situation.

"I assure you, everything is under control."

I lied.

I had no plan, the only truth was the conference that I was having later that day to  further Postpone the fashion show/Launch. Other than that, I had no plans, none whatsoever!

But luckily for me the board members seemed to have faith in me, no one questioned my plans and none of them pulled out.

"Press conference in 30" Darcy said as we walked down the hallway headed to my office when the meeting was over.

"I know." I said half whispering.

"So when are the lie detector guys coming in?" She asked as we entered my office and I laughed, I seriously laughed all the frustration clear in my voice.

"What lie detector guys?" I asked trying to catch the little breath I had left and she blinked, she moved her lips to say something but I interrupted her.

"I lied" running my fingers through my hair.  God I was losing my mind!!

"I lied okay! We can't be taking lie detector tests, people cheat those things, some get anxiety and end up being in the line of fire instead, it's a completely dum idea and it would never work, I only said that to scare whoever the mole is, also to calm the board members." I concluded and Darcey gave me a look of pity, like she wanted to comfort me but she didn't know how so I quickly dismissed her.

"I would like some time to prepare for the press conference please." I said and she left.

I took out my phone and began recording myself while I gave my statement. I had to make sure that I sounded confident, I know I won't be talking in the presence of heavy paparazzi and cameras and shit, I had invited a few reputable magazines and newspapers that respected my wish to remain the anonymous leader but I still had to sound like I knew what I was doing.

I didn't like the way I sounded the first two times, my voice was breaking a lot.

I was about to begin attempt number three, when Darcy came in to tell me that they were here already, I got up nervously running my sweaty palms along the sides of my pant suit, letting out a shaky breath, God I hadn't even prepared for their questions.

I really hate the whoever is in charge of my destiny, where the heck is my guardian angel or fairy god mother? Where the heck is my help??

"Oh will you please take those files on the locker to HR" I asked her pointing to the files  as I walked  out of my office.

I put my game face on  trying to regain all of my strength.

"Come on Jessica, you are Wonder_fuckking_woman!!!"
.

.

.

"Thank you for your time Miss Darling, and we do hope this whole situation blows over soon." One reporter said.

"Thank you for your having me, and rest assured that we are taking all the necessary precautions to deal with this whole ordeal." I said getting up to shake their hands as Darcy and Elaine(another secretary) showed them out.

"Well that went well" I muttered letting out a breath of relief when all the journalists were gone.

The interview really wasn't all that bad, and the questions weren't as brutal as I thought they would be, they were rather compassionate.

"How did you feel when you found out that your  most valued most sentimental designs were being showcased in this new backdoor designer house?"

"I was devastated, and honestly the news just drew all the energy from me and I was exhausted. But, nothing a little cake couldn't fix."

"Did you have any suspects?"

"When you have a  children could you ever point out any of your kids and suspect them of foul acts? No you don't. Instead you pray hard and hope none of them had anything to do with it, that is how I felt about my employees, I trust them all so much I can't begin to point fingers, I wouldn't know which direction to point."

"All that trust and still you get stabbed in the back like this, what will you do when you find the traitor."

"I honestly haven't thought that far, Authorities would definitely be involved and the world's most brutal law suit."

"You sound so calm aren't you in the least worried?"

"Why would I be worried when I trust in the process? I mean if I panic then who will keep the ship afloat?"

"Are you worried about the Future of Balle?"

Yes! Yes, I was fucking worried about the future of Balle.

"Absolutely Not"  I answered back flashing a killer smile. The questions kept coming and I calmly answered them all.

"You were amazing, you actually sounded like a man with a plan, if I didn't know better I'd say you had some undercover plans."

"Except I don't Darcy, I'm still screwed and hoping for a miracle."

"Don't worry something will come up, don't forget your zoom meeting with the investors from France and Italy."

"Remind me again why I have to talk to all this people while I could focus on Controlling the situation?"

"Because you keep postponing the show, they need to know why, they have been expecting a killer Show since June, last year." She added the last part sarcastically.

It was so late already, as I prepared for my zoom meeting I remembered that I forgot to call my babies to wish them a goodnight.

Shit!

I scrambled around for my phone and found it under my desk on the floor.

I picked it up and noticed that it was still on recording mode which paused as soon as the phone switched off.

I listened to my third trial to hear exactly how I sounded like in that room

I smiled in satisfaction listening to my voice, until Darcy chimed in, informing me about the journalists, snapping me back to reality that I still had a pending zoom call.

I walked over to my locker to get the charger for my Laptop, and just as I was plugging the device in, different voices were heard in the recording that had been playing in my phone, right there the miracle I had been waiting for, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!!!!

.

.

.

.

.............................................
Woop! Woop! Shit finna be lit around here.

Stay tuned and stay safe.