✑ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐.𝟏

𝙶𝚛𝚢𝚏𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚍𝚘𝚛 𝚃𝚛𝚊𝚒𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙲𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚛𝚎
𝟷:𝟺𝟾 𝚙.𝚖 I

The group of Gryffindors in front of him was relatively small. Not the biggest turnout for a lesson by any means, but then news of their ambush last week had made spies slightly less eager for field training. Word is that the Death Eaters are getting stronger.

Nevertheless, most of this class were more curious to see the now-famous Lily Evans, the unassigned spy, than they were to learn the ins and outs of risk assessment but no matter. This was the job.

James Potter paced as he spoke, explaining the activities as the groups paired off to complete several tasks.

"It's vital you remain calm by this point. Anxiety is only more thoughts to sieve through here, so clear your mind. And stop laughing, Jenny!" The leader of Hogwarts snapped at one of the younger trainees, likely a daughter or ward of one of the adult spies.

As he had earlier instructed, the pairs began to attack each other in a variety of different ways, allowing their partners to assess what their first point of contact would be. James paced further round the group. Careful not to get involved with his arm still in a sling, it hadn't healed and Molly was insisting the sling was for his own benefit, even if it was his left arm (and dominant arm) that was out of action.

"Falcon?"

Lily looked up and directly into his eyes. All of a sudden, James got the urge to look away. There was a certain sensation like he'd been stabbed in the gut overpowering him when their eyes connected.

"Yeah?"

Suddenly he'd forgotten what he was about to say. Her eyes were piercing and she was beautiful. Fuck. This is bad. This is bad.

"Your kick," he managed to choke out eventually, guised as a cough. "Way too high. If Puma had wanted, she'd have grabbed you by the ankle and taken you down over your own shoulder before you could say 'fuck,' and that would ruin your signature move."

Lily looked murderous. This amused him greatly.
"Oh and by the way?"

"What?"

"The flip-over-the-shoulder? It'll get predictable after a while. Might wanna invest in a larger repertoire."

Lily all but bared her teeth and James found it adorable.
"Would you like me to test out my 'repertoire' on you?"

"Absolutely."

The redhead looked down at the floor, her confidence not shattered but something about her slipped. A sense of fascination clambered its way into James' skull.

Marlene used this moment to butt in, "I think you two might be talking about different repertoires."

James smirked, looking at Lily again, this time purposely catching her eye.
"Perhaps." He walked away then, but he was almost positive he heard her mutter to herself behind his back.

'Damn you, Potter.'

●·○·●·○·●

𝙶𝚛𝚢𝚏𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚍𝚘𝚛 𝚃𝚛𝚊𝚒𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙲𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚛𝚎
𝟸:𝟷𝟶 𝚙.𝚖 I

"Potter!"

James jumped round to see Minerva McGonagall sprint into the center, the Gryffindors all shot their heads around too, stopping their activities to watch what might have caused the Head of Gryffindor to rush into the lesson for James Potter of all people.