40| Smudged Calligraphy

『ARC FOUR: A BUTTERFLY'S DEDUCTION』

✧ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✦✧✦ ▬▭▬ ▬▭▬ ✧

Eleven years ago.

Raising the translucent glass up, Junri gazed in disinterest at the light seeping through the cup. The fluorescent lights hanging above her were blinding but she did not dare tear her eyes away. She shifted the glass in her hand and the clear alcohol inside swirled with the movement. Pursing her lips, she bit down on her tongue.

Then her eyebrows knitted together and deep creases of anger were sketched across her forehead. Separating her fingers, the glass slipped out of her grasp. The edge connected with the mahogany panels, deep fractures slithering across its surface before shattering. A few miniature shards flew, slicing small cuts into her bare calves while the alcohol seeped into the fabric of her grey flats. Her hand stayed still, hovering at her eye level. She stayed like that for a minute or so.

She parted her lips open yet she did not utter a single word. Illuminating light that rained down above gave her white hair an ethereal glow which brightened even further when she cocked her head to the side. Curling her fingers into a fist, she harshly brought it down to her side. Golden eyes solidified into a rigid glare.

"My fault..." she mumbled softly in disbelief. A chuckle rumbled within the depths of her chest. "Oh, no, no, no. You must be mistaken."

"Pray tell, why do you believe that?" The edge of the glass cup tapped lightly against the small wooden table and the alcohol inside trembled before stilling with a few ripples running through it. A sigh of annoyance slipped out of the man's lips as he propped his elbow onto the red leather of the armrest. He tilted his head and rested his temple on his closed knuckles. Deep amber eyes glowered at the woman as a few chocolate strands fell into his sight.

Her foot stepped forth, slamming against the shattered pieces of glass without even a flinch. Opening her right palm, she pressed her hand to her chest. This time she laughed, chest shaking as she shook her head. "This is not my fault! No, no, this is your fault. You're the one who made me leave!"

"Junri, you are the one who made this decision." His voice was sleek and deep and his tone was not elevated in volume but still carried itself with authority. "Do not blame me."

The woman's figure shook with nothing but pure anger and frustration. Releasing a trembling breath, she briefly lowered her head just enough for her curls to tickle her arms. "Yes, it is! Naturally, this is your fault, Namiko! You are the one who forced me to leave. It. Is. Your. Fault."

"Do you ever get tired of placing the blame on others? May I remind you that you were the one who shook my hand and agreed to anything I may say?" Namiko replied, rolling his eyes as he grew less and less interested in the conversation. "So enough with this childish squander."